Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Colordao Tourist Lines

May 19, 2000 11:27AM
Hi guys,
Me thinks the name of this board should be changed to reflect the nature of the content and be called the C&TS Message Board.
I understand the protective nature y'all have vs. the Creede and Trinidad plans. They aren't scenic is the one complaint I love. The C&TS is amazingly scenic, and it hasn't drawn enough riders for a few years now.
Maybe getting full coaches is more than scenery?
And the whole game is about getting full coaches.
I think the new C&TS team nees to worry about making the C&TS right and less about what others fo. Protectionism by her fans targeted at C&TS to remain the only game in town could backfire in a major way.
If I were you, I would welcome any new tourist development remotely near the C&TS. At that same time, you need to continue new efforts to the sell the line to visitors so that they will think it is worth it to go out of their way to ride.
My fear for the C&TS is that while I know none of you want yer terminals to turn into what Durango has, you want the ridership that Durango attracts.
One breeds the other, and the middle ground may be fewer riders. If there are other nearby attractions, than it would be better for you and save Antonito or Chama some of the trauma of over development.
Also, if you are threatend by a nearby 1 hour train ride because it would syphon off the people who would otherwise only have your all day ride... maybe you have to address that first and have the 1 hour ride daily.
Rather than scorn those who plan for what a critical mass of tourists want, I think the wise option is to embrace it.
The Pennsylvania roads I mentioned before all offer short trips except for the Reading & Northern, which runs occasional all-day or half-day rides.
Perhaps, the C&TS would be better off being a short trip hauler on the daily basis, with full line trips four or five time a month (or every Saturday).
That may please more tourists and put more dough in the coffers. It will PO railfans, but railfans are the last group you need to please.
I know I will get flamed for this and you will say I am nuts, but a little perspective from outside of Chama might spur some new debate and new ways to think.
Back east, we have the same dilemma with EBT.
Patch
Subject Author Posted

New Colordao Tourist Lines

Patch Town May 19, 2000 11:27AM

You're in the wrong bar

Jay Wimer May 19, 2000 12:45PM

Why? Re: You're in the wrong bar

Patch Town May 19, 2000 01:54PM

Welcome

John West May 19, 2000 06:26PM

Re: Why? Re: You're in the wrong bar

Jay Wimer May 20, 2000 09:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.