Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ecuador on schedule for December re-opening

September 30, 2012 01:16AM
An update on Ecuador.

Progress is excellent and is more or less on schedule for the December 2012 grand re-opening. However there are some potential trouble points not to mention the weather.

Here is a run down.

1. Riobamba to Colta has re-opened.
Riobamba – Colta - Riobamba
Days: Thursday to Sunday and Holidays
Departure: 12h00
Roundtrip $ 15

The trip has a dining car and at the lagoon of Colta there is either a guided visit to Jatun Yachay University or a boat tour at the lake of Colta.

Even though I have gone by the lake at Colta many times on the train I have never seen the area closeup and this promises to be very interesting. Colta station has been refurbished.

2. Riobamba to Urbina.
Route: Riobamba - Urbina - Riobamba
Days: Thursday to Sunday and Holidays
Departure: 08h00
Roundtrip $ 11

• Autoferro Trip
• Bilingual guidance
• The price includes admission to the Interpretive Center

Urbina is as near as you get by train to the highest volcano of Ecuador, Chimborazo. Urbina station has been totally rebuilt as an interpretative centre.

This should be a good day and I have always enjoyed my trips to Urbina.

3. Duran to Yaguachi. I understand 2405 has not been very well and this service has been suspended for a few weeks to fix her. Any reports from the ground would be welcome, I am sure. Three weeks is the estimated repair time.

4. Yaguachi to Bucay. Progressing well although Milagro could cause a delay. The people of Milagro did not want the train again so a compromise has been reached in that a new station on the west of the town is being built avoiding the town centre station. This, in my view, is stupid as this town gets no tourists otherwise and the train can bring them. My guess is that this could be March 2013 before it is ready although everyone says still December 2012 and I hope they are right.

5. Bucay to Huigra. Should be definitely ready for December 2012.

6. Huigra to Sibambe. On schedule for December 2012.

7. Sibamabe to Alausi(Devils Nose) . Currently fully operational.

8. Alausi to Colta. Should be ready for December 2012.

9. Colta to Riobamba. Operational.

10. Riobamba to Urbina. Operational.

11. Urbina to Mocha. Operational but not used.

12. Mocha to Ambato to Latacunga. Pretty well on schedule for December 2012 but might slip a month.

13. Latacunga to Quito. Fully operational.

So all in all the deadline of December 2012, if not fully met will be close enough and certainly by 2013 tourist season the entire line from Quito to Guayaquil (Duran) will be operational.

It is anticipated that there will be a daily service from Quito to Riobamba and Riobamba to Guayaquil, each taking about 8 hours. It is unlikely there will be a through service in one day initially.

The hotel train will take four days and three nights with stopovers in Riobamba, Huigra and Bucay.

The exact dates for the return of steam are uncertain but my guess is late 2013. Work on the engines is progressing but slower than anticipated but it will be done which is all that matters. It is anticipated to have one steam engine based in Quito, two in Riobamba and one in Duran.

So by and large it is excellent news and it will happen.

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Ecuador on schedule for December re-opening

KellsMuseum September 30, 2012 01:16AM

Re: Ecuador on schedule for December re-opening

John Cole September 30, 2012 07:47AM

Steve Singer September 30, 2012 09:15AM

Trevor Heath September 30, 2012 11:41AM

Steve Singer September 30, 2012 02:19PM

Trevor Heath September 30, 2012 05:43PM

DWBrown October 01, 2012 01:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login