Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plenty of Porters on the PCRy ... and DOZENS of tractors!

June 25, 2010 01:22PM avatar
Hi, All -

This could have been posted yesterday morning, or maybe even late Wednesday, but the fire at Lobato Trestle was way too distracting - and distressing.  Plans are still in the works for the 40th Anniversary Celebration in August, however, and the re-enactment of the First C&TS Train into Chama and the Tribute to the 'Summer of Seventy Volunteers' is STILL on the Calendar!!

I took some time off from planning of the C&TS August event and helping Phil Reader with Fillmore & Western #14 to visit The Pacific Coast Railway in Santa Margarita on Wednesday afternoon. The PCRy is hosting the Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association's FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY National Show for four days this weekend, June 24-27. There are DOZENS of old diesel and gas tractors at the ranch, and even a few big steam tractors; the railroad will be running at least three different engines on its roughly two miles of three-foot gauge track during this time.

One of the guest locomotives is the Marie E., a 0-4-0 Porter which I first saw and rode several years ago at Ollie Johnson's home near Julian, California. Here she is during a break-in, familiarization and crew-training session on Wednesday:
Marie-E.jpg

An even smaller engine is Ann Marie, another Porter, which was built in 1890. Currently painted up for the Cortez Mines Ltd. Railway, she looked quite at home at the ranch; it was easy to imagine her pulling loads of lumber, hay and farm products across the fields:
Ann-Marie.jpg

Last but not least, here is the cantankerous 2-6-2 lovingly referred to as 'Das FrankenPorter' by Ed Kelly and Jeff Badger. These are new photos, but are very similar to some I got a few years ago when the grass was taller and greener:
FrankenPorter.jpg

Phil hadn't shown up yet, and I was very disappointed to learn that my long-time friend Brad LaRose, President of the San Luis Obispo RR Museum, was apparently no longer involved in the operation of the trains; I spent more time than originally planned checking out the tractors out on the "East Forty" across the creek - see the following post.

- Roosso

p.s. Das FrankenPorter's green jacket is a little too green, IMHO.  If Brad were still there to give me permission, I'd apply the 2/3 gallon of D&RGW Dark Olive Green Boiler Jacket Enamel Urethane that's hiding in my garage . . .

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 11:30AM by Russo Loco.
Subject Author Posted

Plenty of Porters on the PCRy ... and DOZENS of tractors! Attachments

Russo Loco June 25, 2010 01:22PM

Re: DOZENS of tractors ... and Plenty of Porters on the PCRy! Attachments

Russo Loco June 25, 2010 01:23PM

Re: DOZENS of tractors ... and Plenty of Porters on the PCRy!

UnfortunateBystander June 25, 2010 04:16PM

D&RGW 223 June 25, 2010 08:52PM

Granflaten June 25, 2010 11:22PM

Kredit vhere kredit is dü

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley June 26, 2010 01:53AM

Re: Kredit vhere kredit is dü

Russo Loco June 26, 2010 02:45AM

Urias von Meyenburg June 27, 2010 02:39AM

Russo Loco June 27, 2010 11:01AM

Urias von Meyenburg June 27, 2010 11:24AM

Re: Vitch Lanquish? ... confused smiley

Russo Loco June 27, 2010 12:15PM

Jeff Taylor June 26, 2010 01:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login