Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a future for steam tourist railroads? II

November 25, 2008 07:10AM avatar
The question at the top of my previous thread was, is there a future for steam tourist railroads?

For most of my life, at least since I witnessed the almost overnight, early demise of steam on my hometown railroad, the Chicago Great Western, I have feared and expected to see or read about the very last steam locomotive operated in America. Fortunately, that last run has been postponed decades beyond my early expectations -- thanks to the (now) old timers who refused to let it die and to several generations of younger enthusiasts who have stepped up to keep them going. And thanks also to the fans, historians and general public who have spread the word, and encouraged the operations with stories, ridership and contributions of time and labor.

But is this a loosing battle? Are young enthusiasts stepping up in sufficient numbers to replace us older ones. Sure, there will always be a few attracted to steam, especially if they have exposure with positive experiences of their own – the more positive the better. I believe that the numbers are dwindling as old timers like me die off and new, potential enthusiasts are discouraged. Making the cab off-limit to all but the anointed will do nothing to perpetuate the love of steam.

For now, steam is still with us, but where will the enthusiasm come from to keep it going? Will the public even still be interested in seeing a steam locomotive run? I maintain that the up close and personal experience of a cab ride is one of the best opportunities there is for perpetuating a love of steam. No one can argue that with a ban on them, one more opportunity to turn a casual interest into a serious one will be lost. There is no doubt that there is danger involved, and I am not suggesting rides for everyone – just for the serious or potentially serious few.

As I see it now, opportunities are dwindling. In my youth, steam was everywhere; railroads were tolerant and open to non-employees – sometimes even openly friendly and encouraging toward them. With the decline in access, the essential, enthusiastic following is declining, as is the casual interest of the public. Places where steam still operates are declining, and where they still run, opportunities to promote enthusiasm are being discouraged and withheld.

Worse yet, in some cases, the professionals on tourist railroads appear to disdain a true enthusiast just as vitriolically as many main line crews and management personnel – an attitude I have never understood. When I was a boy, my father was sent from Chicago to New York City on business. The first time he rode the 20th Century Limited. I thought this would be an ultimate treat, but all his subsequent trips were on American Airlines prop planes. It was his choice, and I was astonished. I ask him why. He responded that the railroad employees were all old, surly, and bad humored – just the opposite of the people encountered in the nascent airline industry. Clearly, things have changed now in the airline business, but the lesson is there: there are many ways to turn away potential enthusiasts -- the very people who just might become valuable contributors given encouragement. Every museum or steam tourist employee or volunteer, who has any contact with the public, should consider himself or herself to be in the PR business.

Very little said in response to my original question has been the least bit encouraging. My conclusion seems inevitable: I believe that contrary to what I originally thought, steam will probably outlive me after all, but not by much -- at least not in the United States. In the UK, I’m sure we can count on our friends there to continue for years longer.
Subject Author Posted

Is there a future for steam tourist railroads? II

gbrewer November 25, 2008 07:10AM

Re: Is there a future for steam tourist railroads? II

Tom Moungovan November 25, 2008 08:05AM

zephyrus November 25, 2008 08:52AM

Steve Singer November 25, 2008 09:00AM

gbrewer November 25, 2008 09:09AM

Steve Singer November 25, 2008 12:52PM

EBTfan15 November 27, 2008 01:52PM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley November 26, 2008 10:53PM

Russo Loco January 07, 2009 10:04PM

Bill Dennehy November 25, 2008 09:32AM

geode November 25, 2008 12:14PM

Chris Webster November 25, 2008 02:52PM

Coyote November 25, 2008 03:43PM

geode November 25, 2008 07:59PM

Phil Reader November 25, 2008 08:44PM

Coyote November 25, 2008 03:16PM

Getting the younger set involved

zephyrus November 25, 2008 04:12PM

Re: Getting the younger set involved

Coyote November 25, 2008 04:22PM

Marty Knox November 28, 2008 05:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login