Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Is there a future for steam tourist railroads? II

November 26, 2008 10:53PM avatar
As someone who is still in the "young" category (albeit with the disposition, at times, of a 65-year-old man), I'll say that I'm a lot more cynical than I used to be about this stuff as a result of that "it's all crap now" mentality. In my short tenure, I've already experienced more than my desired share of bad politics, overinflated egos, and flat out negative energy. I've seen safety compromised for the sake of making somebody look good or fulfill a foamer wet dream, and watched good people get run out of organizations for no real reason. As someone who went in this for the cause, not to win some popularity or glory contest, seeing/fighting this kind of childish, counterproductive balderdash was frustrating and demoralizing to say the least.

I've been working on the railroad on and off since I was 13 or 14, steady for three years between one and five days a week (while remaining a full-time student) and firing since I was 18. I have friends my age that have been doing it just as long, some longer. One has worked his way up to being an FRA-licensed steam engineer and is already thinking about pulling the pin as he graduates college next semester because the grass is greener elsewhere. Another, who started straight on standard gauge equipment at 14, recently quit his full-time steam job to go back to school and volunteer his Saturdays. He belongs in the shop; the kid has such a green thumb with steam you almost can't help but envy him. I can think of at least three others off the top of my head that have already left to pursue alternative lines of work. It would be a shame if all the great young people so successfully indoctrinated in the old ways of steam ended up being nothing but temps.

Personally, I've been lucky to have had positive experiences most of the places I've been, which came from having the good fortune of learning from paid professionals regardless of if I myself was being paid to work with them (and when I was, it wasn't much). Phil Reader, who I'm privileged to call my firing mentor, is a perfect example of someone who does everything in their power to pass on the torch, not to mention his optimism after 30 years in this industry is nothing short of incredible. Based on the stories he's told me of some of his experiences, I'd never be able to sit down and write the positive post he just did for this thread after putting up with that kind of nonsense. Where are more people like Phil? Plus, I think he deserves an award for the number of young people he's gotten into steam. I'm sure everyone else who's worked with him knows what I mean.

That said, I, and others I know, would be very hesitant to get involved with an all-volunteer "weekend wonder" cluster[expletive] again. Not to villain-ize them all, but many seem to have a lot of growing up to do, not to mention a lot of bad attitudes needing adjustment. I've always maintained that regardless of your profession, the nature of the work requires that railroading must always be conducted in a professional manner. It wasn't intended to be a hobby, nor treated like one; if you want to think otherwise, join your local live steam club. But what do I know? I'm just some punk kid.

My apologies for sounding bitter; I'm not trying to sink a buoyant conversation, but felt these sparks of burnout are a reality that need to be heard before it's too late. Just my $0.02. Not to sound like a kindergartner (despite there being many in this field), but can't we all just play nice?
Subject Author Posted

Is there a future for steam tourist railroads? II

gbrewer November 25, 2008 07:10AM

Tom Moungovan November 25, 2008 08:05AM

zephyrus November 25, 2008 08:52AM

Steve Singer November 25, 2008 09:00AM

gbrewer November 25, 2008 09:09AM

Steve Singer November 25, 2008 12:52PM

EBTfan15 November 27, 2008 01:52PM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley November 26, 2008 10:53PM

Russo Loco January 07, 2009 10:04PM

Bill Dennehy November 25, 2008 09:32AM

geode November 25, 2008 12:14PM

Chris Webster November 25, 2008 02:52PM

Coyote November 25, 2008 03:43PM

geode November 25, 2008 07:59PM

Phil Reader November 25, 2008 08:44PM

Coyote November 25, 2008 03:16PM

Getting the younger set involved

zephyrus November 25, 2008 04:12PM

Re: Getting the younger set involved

Coyote November 25, 2008 04:22PM

Marty Knox November 28, 2008 05:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login