Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Chama Ashpit

Earl Knoob
April 02, 2001 12:47PM
The Chama ashpit has been rebuilt 2 twice since the DRGW left. The DRGW's pit lasted until the fall of 1985 when the thing developed a serious sag in the west rail. The old cast iron pedestals on the east side were cracked badly too. So we ripped it out - well we tried too. It was found the re-bar in the pit was 30lb rail. We packed explosive into drilled holes. We managed to rattle every window in Chama, but didn't do much to the concrete. I think eventually, a large part of the concrete was removed, new pedestals made out of I -beam, and a new back wall was poured to hold up the west rail. I think the basic form of the original pit was retained.
This lasted a few years when it again was rebuilt about 1992. This time the pit was deepened to allow a bucket from a front end loader to get under the rails to scoop up the ashes.
For some reason, the RR Commission wanted the old concrete saved for riprap somewhere. We spotted 3 flats - one happened to be 6314 (see above thread on it). The contractor proceeded to dump 40 tons of concrete and rail rebar onto a 25 ton capy flat, and literally broke its back. I went out to check progress and found 6314 with its truss rods on the ground, and one coupler pointed up at a 45 degree angle. One truss rod end (with nut and washer) had snapped off and was launched and landed 30' away. The contractor was busily getting ready to dump more on the poor thing, totally oblivious to the destruction he caused.
Subject Author Posted

Chama Ashpit

Stevo del Applegato March 31, 2001 08:46PM

AL P. April 01, 2001 06:33AM

Stevo del Applegato April 01, 2001 10:26AM

Earl Knoob April 02, 2001 12:47PM

Autobiography . . .

James R. Temple April 02, 2001 01:24PM

here's another one...

Earl April 04, 2001 02:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.