Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: replication

March 31, 2001 10:48AM
Michael, part of the problem is that railfans and private train owners don't respect the video people and artists who are going out on a limb to make the stuff. They only look at the potential dollars. What gripes me sometimes is that folks like us are always supposed to pony-up a donation or pay something for the priviledge to shoot something when others do not. And, when it comes to the media, they are welcome with open arms, since folks figure they are getting direct exposure for their endeavor to a mass audience. This is true, but remember the TV stations MAKE A PROFIT TOO! Its called advertising. Without that they could not afford to cover anything.
Part of the reason I do what I do, and Coker does what he does, is that we like railroading. While Coker has more hands-on experience there are different degrees of enjoyment of the hobby. Its not a lot of fun sometimes when you have to try to justify what you do to the other fans when basically all we are doing is providings some additional entertainment for this small market industry which is always in need of more cash like everyone else.
I disagree with your idea of giving a percentage to outfits we videotape. Yes I will support them, and am doing so just by showing up to a certain degree. I have supported various groups(some more than others like the C&TS), but I can't be the sugar daddy for each one of them.
Again, I think you fail to respect the costs and time involved with video production. Most production houses would laugh at what we are doing. In fact many have asked me when I do editing what the railroads are PAYING US to do these videos. I state we are doing them all on speculation essentially.
As for giving back something. We always offer to sell our videos at a substantial discount to ALL railroad museums, stores, and other establishments, so that they CAN get their piece of the pie. But, I don't feel I MUST spend all my time and energy and money, on equipment and travel and simply hand-over royalties. I might as well work at McDonalds, where I at least would get a free meal! Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with paying my fair share for tickets when I want to ride, or charters, or whatever. However, if I have to pay, I won't feel obligated to list places in the credits either!
In a perfect world tapes would be selling for what they did 10 years ago, and we could gladly do as you suggest. In 2001, it is impossible! At least when I did my wildlife tape I didn't have to pay the animals a royalty, and there are far more folks interested!
Sincerely,
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Art & Ownership

John McCutcheon March 28, 2001 06:18PM

Re: Art & Ownership

jay March 28, 2001 07:03PM

Slim March 28, 2001 07:43PM

Allen Tacy March 28, 2001 08:28PM

Re: Art & Ownership *PIC*

Greg Scholl March 29, 2001 05:47AM

How I do it

El Coke March 29, 2001 08:12AM

Re: How I do it

Art March 29, 2001 04:56PM

Not exactly...

El Coke March 29, 2001 08:55PM

An area to tread carefully

Eugene March 30, 2001 12:12PM

Locomotive X

El Coke March 30, 2001 01:05PM

Re: Locomotive X

RBrinton March 30, 2001 01:47PM

Re: Locomotive X

Eugene March 30, 2001 03:43PM

Psych 101

El Coke March 30, 2001 03:49PM

replication

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 07:47AM

Amen,Greg.

El Coke March 31, 2001 08:21AM

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 08:27AM

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 10:48AM

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 01:47PM

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 03:49PM

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 06:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.