Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ex-D&RGW tool car 04549

March 18, 2001 08:28PM
Recently, I have been upgrading an old (mid 60's) Con-cor wood kitbuilt HOn3 D&RGW boxcar. After tearing off the gross hardware and details, I proceeded to research the 4000 series boxcars. This kit came with pre-painted and lettered (red) sides and ends and was numbered in the 4000 series. Since I model in the mid-sixties era, I decided to look at converting the car to a MOW boxcar. The closest match I could find was 04549 that I had seen in Chama last summer. I had taken one photo of it, a three-quarter view showing the "B" end. As I was adding Grandt's box car details, I noticed the small end door was on the "B" end. Hmm, is that typical, I asked myself?
I dug out my Narrow Gauge Pictorials and various other D&RGW narrow gauge books to see. After searching through all those books, it would seem that 04549 was somewhat unique in that it has the small end door on the "B" end. In fact, I could not find any photos of any other house cars configured that way, either 4000 or 3000 series. OK, I can live with that since my photo proves that at least 04549 had the small end door on the "B" end.
What I am wondering is, was this a modification done after the car came to the C&TS and also what is on the "A" end? The only view of 04549 in the Narrow Gauge Pictorial does not show either end. The car is nearly ready for the paint shop, only needing the stirrup steps to be installed. If I need more detail on the "A" end it would be nice to do so before painting begins. A photo posted here would be helpful, but a simple answer might suffice.
When I last seen 04549, it was parked in front the enginehouse (in front of 484?) where the roadway goes around the east end of the old roundhouse stalls. Haven't a clue where it might be parked now. I know this seems like nitpickin' but any help would be appreciated.
Narrowly yours,
Mark Valerius
Subject Author Posted

ex-D&RGW tool car 04549

Mark Valerius March 18, 2001 08:28PM

Re: ex-D&RGW tool car 04549

Gary Schwenke March 20, 2001 06:10PM

Dave Dye March 20, 2001 09:02PM

Mark Valerius March 23, 2001 09:51AM

Cars together

Grant Houston March 23, 2001 06:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.