Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chama progress report

John West
March 05, 2001 10:17PM
The news from Chama is pretty positive. I haven't been there since December, so this is all culled from second hand reports. Dan Ranger made the big move from Felton, and is getting settled in his old home in Chama. From what Bob Wright reports, it looks as if there will be five, maybe six engines ready to go by June. Cross my fingers this is right. But also keep in mind it will be temporary, since locos will have to be taken out of service for work to meet the new boiler standards. In Antonito Marvin Casias is making progress with the coaches, the parlour car conversions, and perhaps even getting the 19 running again. I haven't talked with Mad Dog Collins in awhile, but fragmentary reports suggest that the track crew is still changing out rail around Lava as weather permits, replacing 70# rail on the curves with 90#. Lots of planning for track work next year, with some new machinery (speedswing, spud liner, bolt machine) coming on line to speed up work. While the EBT hoppers (John's Folly) continue to languish, the optimistic view is maybe two will be up an running by May, giving us four ballast cars. Reservations for next season seem to be strong, although it's tough to know for sure since The Prior Operator didn't leave any historical records. The parlour cars are already sold out on several days....sure hope they get finished in time. Yes, money is a challenge, but the recent NGF grant as well as money from the Flowers Fund will help see us through the winter. Finally, Craft and West are putting their heads together to try and drum up some minor suprises for opening day. It's still a struggle, but there is every reason for optimism. Don't forget the preseason work sessions the weeks of May 7 and 14, their focus will be cleaning up the Chama yard, including moving the pieces of the ex-C&S turntable to a less conspicuous storage location. Help is always appreciated.
Subject Author Posted

Chama progress report

John West March 05, 2001 10:17PM

Re: Chama progress report - now questions

RichB March 05, 2001 10:48PM

John Craft March 06, 2001 05:44AM

O. Anderson March 06, 2001 07:31AM

RichB March 06, 2001 06:49PM

David Fluit March 07, 2001 07:36AM

Chartered Freights

John West March 07, 2001 10:34AM

Re: Chartered Freights

Grant Houston March 07, 2001 06:02PM

Going firing

John West March 07, 2001 07:08PM

Thanks, I'll just be sure before I sign on! *NM*

Grant Houston March 08, 2001 08:59PM

John Craft March 07, 2001 11:48AM

K Brand March 06, 2001 08:41AM

And now for the bolt machine

John West March 06, 2001 11:41AM

Spud Liner?

Stevo del Applegato March 07, 2001 08:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.