Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mysterygrinning smileyid K-28s venture on the RGS ?

February 27, 2001 07:53PM
Sorry ,Mr.Kemmerer ,I did not weigh in on the K-28 questions below as I waxed windy on the subject only a couple of months ago . I will simply say they were the best engines I ever worked on , though they were very worn out. Their best attribute was the three engines tracked remarkably well and were fun to operate .
A persistyent rumor over the years is whether the K-28s ever ran west of Durango . Woody once followed a hot lead on a photo but told me later it was B.S.,and I believe him . I also pored over the Dolores train registers from 1945 to 1951 , and there was no 470 listed as ever rolling into town. Fred Folk said the other day that as abandonement approached ,the Grande looked into taking over the Durango-to-Dolores line as there w as growing pipe business to Cortez at the time .He said that #476 ran light as a test,only to derail at East Mancos Tank . It's a tantalizing story , but without documentation ,it will remain just that . Since the D&RGW still had s everal K-27s around ,it could have run west with those .But again ,there is no documentation the Grande was ever intersted in any part of the RGS . The South End of the RGS saw little traffic in later years.It was laid with light rail and the road bed was in bad shape at the time of its 1951 abandonement.
Over the last five decades the natural gas companies hoped that the vast Navajo reservation would be open to exploration .Except for big coal mines near Kayenta and Fort Defiance,the tribe never opened up to gas exploration save for a few holes drilled around Teec Nos Pos in the late 1970s .
Subject Author Posted

Mysterygrinning smileyid K-28s venture on the RGS ?

El Coke February 27, 2001 07:53PM

Re: Mysterygrinning smileyid K-28s venture on the RGS ?

Doug Jolley February 27, 2001 11:41PM

Re: Mysterygrinning smileyid K-28s venture on the RGS ?

Earl February 28, 2001 10:02AM

Re: found it

Earl February 28, 2001 01:45PM

Re: found it

Doug vV February 28, 2001 08:22PM

Re: K27's

Earl March 01, 2001 07:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.