Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C&TS-History vs Marketing

December 19, 2006 11:33AM
First of all I want to say that I have read all of the posts about the commissions/possible changes/historical relevance/Rio Grande vs Cumbres and Toltec Scenic lettering on the engines posts over the last few weeks. I would like to offer an opinion/perspective that might address everyone's concerns, if the commission ever hears it.
First of all I am not from the West. I am from the East. I volunteer my time as museum coordinator/historian for the Tweetsie Railroad theme park in Blowing Rock North Carolina. President of the ET&WNC RR Historical Society, and author of a book series on the ET&WNC.
I also work in the corporate office of a hundred million $$ per year company, and occasionally participate in marketing decisions. All of those hats put me firmly astride the fence between history and marketing.
The situation as I see it, is that some want the railroad preserved in its original condition, with the engines and rolling stock lettered for the Rio Grande. On the other hand there are many here who have participated to some degree in its current incarnation (under various operators), who see it as the C&TS and that persona should be continued and enhanced.
I would like to submit that a happy medium between the two is actually the best approach. Here is why. Tourist railroads learned as early as the Shenandoah Central in 1954, that railfans cannot support a tourist railroad. There simply arent enough of them, and a majority of that subset do not have a lot of money to spend to support a railroad. Even the Norfolk Southern steam excursion program learned early on that you needed John Q. Public to ride the steam trains, in order to pay the bills.
I submit that John Q. Public does not care what is lettered on the engine. They want to have their picture taken in front of it, but they don't care what letters are on the side. But the management of the railroad better care what is on the side, because when they get those double prints at Walmart and are showing them around the family gathering and office after the vacation, the name on the side of the locomotive is what advertises the operation to all of their friends. The photos that you take home are the best and freeist (to coin a word) advertising that any operation can get. How many postcards can you buy of engines in gift shops do not show the name of the operation on it, especially on the engine and passenger cars.
Just to show you I know what I am talking about, Tweetsie Railroad now does a railfan weekend one weekend per year. Each year the management pays to have Ten Wheeler No. 12 relettered into ET&WNC lettering. Costs several hundred dollars, but they do it for the fans. But the following week, it is put right back to Tweetsie Railroad on the side of the engine. Its your moving billboard after all. The point I am trying to make is that BOTH sides get what they want.
I rode the C&TS in 1997. Loved the trip. Loved the air of the yard in Chama, and having spent a lot of time in the cab of the locomotive and being around the general public, the employees were far friendlier than most. Perfect place for the railfan. The general public eventually showed up, and we enjoyed a wonderful all day train ride. So I know of the operation to some degree. The employees there have my upmost respect.
If I were to address the commission, I would stress the need to go National with their advertising. Durango does, and it is amazing that the State owned C&TS is not plastered all over the two States' tourist websites and paper advertising. West Virginia does it with Cass Scenic. Really benefits that operation, and it is in the middle of nowhere, and that is harder to say in the East, but it is true. There is a good example out there for them to follow.
My next recommendation would be to designate the Chama yard as historical, and to whatever degree possible, leave it as original as possible. Build real support facilities, and plant trees to block them from view. It does have the benefit of being on its original ROW and all, and the historical minded will appreciate that. The John Q people will enjoy the back in time aspect of the whole thing. Have the Friends do tours of the facilities, along with their restoration work. Make Chama yard a museum, but have the real facilities near by.
It has been suggested that Chama develop the facilities to do work for other people. Tweetsie Railroad does that, and are famous for it. The Smithsonian sends people to Tweetsie to have things done. But they have the necessary equipment and, more importantly, the expertise to be able to take a piece of steel and make a part out of it. A new pretty building is nice, but without the expertise, you are wasting your time. And that takes money. A lot of it up front, for you have to build a reputation, not buy it.
Bear with me, but the lettering on the engines and passenger cars should be C&TS. Refer to the advertising thoughts above. Let it have its own identity, and that identity be nationally known. Put the railroad in a position for it to survive and thrive in the modern tourist enviroment. That would include the States, ticket sales, and Friends involvement.
On the other side of the coin, have all the old equipment, anything that is original, or restored, be lettered Rio Grande. Play up the heritage aspect of it. Yes it has been the C&TS for 35 years now, but it was Rio Grande for nearly a century. I would also include water tanks, and other structures in the Rio Grande part. What I am suggesting is that the tourist pass through a time warp when they get out on the line, and they stay there until they get to Antonito. Crew in costume, even at the meal stop in Osier. I guess you have to have styrofoam for the meal, but miner type plates would be better. You get where I am going here.
But THEN. Schedule events throughout the year for the railfan. Raise money and restore or build real passenger cars. Leave the boxcar passenger cars C&TS, but have original looking stuff lettered Rio grande. Of course have the freight cars lettered Rio Grande. Have part of the ticket price include the cost of the vinyl lettering for the locomotive. Have the C&TS on the tender only and only reletter the tender. A company does it for Tweetsie, but a trained crew could do it themselves in a couple of hours. Just figure that in the cost of the special occasion. CHARGE for it. On those special occasions, run as historical authentic as possible. That would also include no hardhats and wrap around sun glasses for the crew. (That is one pet peeve of mine. To have the engine completely accurate for 1919, and the fireman have shades on to ruin the image.) Use hand signals instead of a walkie talkie. Make it 1919, not just play at it. But I digress.
I just feel that there is an opportunity here for everyone to get what they want. A way for everyone to appeal to the powers that be in a way that would not only save the railroad, but help it to thrive. We all know that the line will not be safe until it is self sufficient. Just look at Amtrak. I think an indepth presentation, along the lines I have suggested, has a chance at success.
To summarize: Promote the line as a historical tourist operation, to a beautiful part of the country, in national porportions, but handle the details in a way that will satisify everyone.
I sincerely hope that this will not start a flame war. I have no agenda either way, for I am not there, do not live there, but do love the line and want it to succeed. If I can be of any assistance in helping this scenario come about, you know where to find me. My name is at the top, so no hiding. Lets all be friends here, and quit sniping. I know there are emotions involved, which is a good thing, but is it productive? Unfortunately not. Only by working together can those who love this line make it thrive.
Just my opinion.
Johnny Graybeal
Subject Author Posted

C&TS-History vs Marketing

johnny graybeal December 19, 2006 11:33AM

Re: C&TS-History vs Marketing

Bryan Laue December 19, 2006 12:32PM

Re: C&TS-History vs Marketing

Richard "Bo" Boulware December 19, 2006 02:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.