Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed Steam Clip *LINK*

December 16, 2006 08:12AM
Last night I was at my brothers house, and he has high-speed internet. He showed me some stuff, including a super video clip on the web from a guy in Germany. Though its not NG, I thought a lot of you folks here would like to see what this experience was like. We were in Germany in 1972, 1974, and in 1975 just before these big Pacifics were withdrawn from service. I was fortunate to get a cab ride in one of these doing 72 mph sustained for several hours, two months before it was taken out of service. We photographed this engine in the video clip as well 012-100.
For those not familiar with these engines, they are 4-6-2 Express passenger engines. 012 is a modified 01. O1 was a coal burning 2 cylinder, while the 012 is an oil burning 3-cylinder. The video clip is at speed, something you don't hear everyday.... A 3-cylinder engine at speed. It was great to recall this roar from 30 years ago.
I have slow speed dial-up so it took 20 minutes for me to download. Its a 59 sec clip.
Go to the link below, and scroll down about 1/3 of the way(by the way there are some great still shots along the way too). When you get to a head-on view of 012-100, with a concrete station platform on the left of the train read the caption. The image has @G Lochn at the lower left, and in the caption on the lower right is a clickable link that says "here is a movie link"
Click and enjoy the sights and sounds of high speed steam. I real departure from the C&TS!!!
Happy Viewing.
Greg Scholl
[www.plandampf.co.uk]
Subject Author Posted

Speed Steam Clip *LINK*

Greg Scholl December 16, 2006 08:12AM

Re: Speed Steam Clip

ToddH December 18, 2006 10:08AM

Greg Scholl December 18, 2006 11:04AM

Herb Kelsey December 19, 2006 11:02AM

John E. Bush December 19, 2006 10:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.