Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cleaning Solvents...a thing of the past.

Kevin Bush
December 10, 2006 03:29PM
Here is an interesting one for you guys. I'd like to hear what Lynn or John Bush have to say about this.
Having worked at the Black Hills Central for a while and having worked in the shop in the winter time I have had my chance to get dirty...every day I work. Some days, much more so than others. I wouldn't get as dirty if the engines were clean when we started disassembling them...and that would be nice.
I have heard about engines being stripped of all grease and oil and grime as well as the paint before being shopped on the big roads. The UP had a whole building for this purpose in Cheyenne and probably Omaha and the other big shops that I'm guessing had grating for a floor and a pit underneith and they'd spray the engines down. On the Pennsy they had tracks that the engines would be pushed into and be submerged. This would be a VERY, very nice feature. Those days are probably gone. Closest thing I have come to using that almost "melts" or disolves grease is a parts washer.
My dad tells me the stuff they used in the old days was called Oakite. Or that was an ingredient.
We have just been scraping the frames off. Just about the only option. I like to wet it down a little with parts washing fluid before hand sometimes but it makes very little difference and usually ends up just being a waste of parts washer fluid. The stuff that is baked on to the cylinders has to be burned off. Burn and scrape, burn and scrape. Almost easier just to sand blast it all.
What do you guys do at Strasburg? Roaring Camp?
Thanks,
Kevin Bush
Subject Author Posted

Cleaning Solvents...a thing of the past.

Kevin Bush December 10, 2006 03:29PM

Re: Cleaning Solvents...a thing of the past.

stuart olson December 10, 2006 04:54PM

Kevin Bush December 10, 2006 05:37PM

Bruce R. Pier December 10, 2006 05:50PM

_ _ December 10, 2006 06:36PM

The Josh December 11, 2006 09:06PM

Re: Cleaning Solvents...a thing of the past. *LINK*

Brian Norden December 10, 2006 07:04PM

Hobosteve December 11, 2006 12:12AM

Rick Steele December 11, 2006 08:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.