Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Turning Point

November 25, 2006 06:14PM
I've thought long and hard about making this post. My motivation is the continued
preservation, and operation of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR, where I was in the
delivery room at the time of the birth....with many other good folks..in 1970.
I want this beloved little narrow gauge railroad to succeed and thrive...nothing more. Personally, I have a substantial investment in time, effort and actual dollars, from 1970, through my production of "Rails Across the Summit" in 1975.
From my perspective, and based on a six week long investigation I undertook, I have come to some rather disquieting conclusions that need to be shared with the many on this and other boards who know nothing of the 'inside politics' scenario that is being played out in Chama and Antonito. Most on these narrow gauge railroad boards want nothing other than to be thrilled by the sounds of a K-36 engine pounding its way up the 4% to Cumbres, or drifting down through Rock Tunnel at the Toltec. I am one of those people, too. Long may this experience live in reality.....not just in our memory.
Throughout the operational existence of the C&TS RR, there has been controversy with different operators and the Bi-State Railroad Commission. So what's new?..Right?
Well, my good friends, we are at a point that I call..."Turning Point"!
The long overdue conflict between operators and the Commission seems to have finally come to a head. Of course all this is unknown to those loyal narrow gauge fans, in Florida, Illinois, California, and other out of state locations...as one would expect.
Everyone wants the C&TS to survive and prosper, no more than I do, but there is a major conflict at hand which cannot be denied. This conflict and struggle for power is upon us whether we like it or not. It will not be denied nor postponed.
Many loyal ng rail fans on different boards know nothing of any of this, and only wish for some vacation time to come out next year to ride, shoot, and enjoy.
The information I am about to post is based on six intense weeks of investigation I have conducted regarding the present situation, and my information comes from many sources both official, and from those in the 'know'! I have not taken any single source and attempted to make it a fact. I have always gone by the rule, that a source must be corroborated by a second source...to attain some validity.
There will be, undoubtedly some who will challenge my information, and you are certainly free to do so, but I will not begin an exchange of emails, challenging my sources. You know my motivation, and my priorities, and you can just take it or leave it as you will.
My information is based on my best available sources and offered in good conscience, without prejudice or favor to any specific party or individual.
I will present what I know in two separate formats. First, what I believe to be true and factual, ....and second...my opinions.
What my investigation leads me to believe is true.....
1. The present management company for the C&TS is purposely slowing negotiations with the Commission for the renewal of the present operating contract...for 2007.
2. The CTSMC is negotiating for a 300% increase in the fees for management of the C&TS in operating year 2007.
3. Mr. Jay Wimer, proprietor of the web site The New Narrow Gauge Dead Goat Saloon, is a contract employee of the CTSMC.
4.There is a problem with the degree of 'resolve' with the current members of the Commission regarding defending the interests of the people of New Mexico and Colorado, regarding the welfare and future good health of the C&TS RR.
5. The CTSMC is challenging the concept that they, the operators of the RR should not have direct control over the advertising/marketing efforts of the C&TS RR.
IF that is not enough....I continue
These are my personal opinions, based upon my own viewst as one who wants success and the long life and preservation of our beloved railroad.
Item:
1. The C&TSMC is purposely delaying successful negociations in the hope that the time will be such that the Commission will have no other alternative than to approve the present contract proposed....or have to forfeit the operating season..year 2007. This smacks of calculated 'blackmail'. With the success of the operating season of 2006, there is positive pressure in favor of the CTSMC, to get what ever they desire. My opinion is that is better to cancel 2007 and re-group, to insure that the present madness and disfuctional relationship might be ended,....and that the present 'house of cards'..relationship be demolished, and a new relationship build upon a 'brick foundation' will prevail and last in to the coming generation, and beyond. I belibe the CTSMC is a well disguised arm of the "Friends", who want to control the RR.
2. Any increase in the amount of 300% seems to anyone, I believe, to be excessive, and would appear to be capitalizing on the good will generated by the CTSMS in operating year 2006. How many reading this would like a salary increase of 300%...paid for by public money.
3. Mr. Jay Wimer, proprietor of the web site, New Narrow gauge Dead Goat Saloon, protrays himself an one interested only in the welfare of the C&TS RR. I would submit for your consideration, that Mr. Wimer has, indeed, a highly vested interest in his own personal well being, and seeks additional power, influence, and financial reward if the new management contract is, in fact, completed to the satisfaction of the CTSMC. Mr. Wimers censorsip of contrary views on his web site, continues to manipulate the thinking of the many loyal narrow gauge rails fans who seek only the success of the railroad. He appears to be the propaganda megaphone for the CTSMC...and attempts to manipulate their thinking by censorship of critical facts and data....permitting only what he feels is in his own personal best interest.
4. The present Commission seems to lack motivation as the appointment to the Commission seems to lack incentive. It might be different if they were paid a substantial salary for their work and participation...and therefor would have something to loose if they screwed up and neglected the public trust to which they are sworn to uphold.
5. Any firm winning the contract for the operational management of the C&TS needs to have control of the advertising/marketing component of the operation...obviously with accountability and controls of the Commission. It is NOT the job of the Commission to pre-think the motives and advertising/marketing strategy of the contract operator. Disarming the contract operator of the power to control the advertising and marketing of the RR, is contrary to common sense. Oversite by the Commission,...obviously..Not direct strategy control.
These are my pieces of information....and my personal opinions Disagree or endorse as you wish. This is only food for thought....not a personal agenda of mine.
I think there are BIG problems here, and discussion needs to happen. Essentially, I believe this is a struggle to decide who controls the operational and historic preservational aspects of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.
It is either going to be the appointed representatives of the citizens of Colorado and New Mexico....or a contractor.
You decide...
Respectfully submitted.
Richard Boulware
Subject Author Posted

Turning Point

Richard "Bo" Boulware November 25, 2006 06:14PM

Re: Turning Point

Bill Scobie November 25, 2006 06:45PM

Chile John November 25, 2006 07:02PM

Sources and Facts

Dick Cowles November 25, 2006 11:30PM

Re: Sources and Facts

John Cole November 26, 2006 07:50AM

IMHO

roger hogan November 26, 2006 09:29AM

Vern November 26, 2006 06:26AM

Richard "Bo" Boulware November 26, 2006 07:39AM

douten November 26, 2006 07:18AM

Charlie November 26, 2006 07:53AM

I Disagree

John Frank November 26, 2006 07:30AM

Re: I Disagree

Richard "Bo" Boulware November 26, 2006 12:22PM

Re: I Disagree

Sammy D November 26, 2006 12:44PM

No Lone Rangers Please

John Frank November 26, 2006 07:11PM

Re: No Lone Rangers Please

Yosemite Sam November 27, 2006 06:08AM

Plows and Clocks

Chris Callaway November 27, 2006 07:11PM

Re: Plows and Clocks

Sammy D November 27, 2006 07:50PM

Richard "Bo" Boulware November 27, 2006 07:54PM

Chris Callaway November 27, 2006 08:44PM

Casey Akin aka: kitBASHer November 26, 2006 11:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.