Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Durango Yard, 1966 *LINK*

November 12, 2006 08:44PM
Here is a little set of 4 pictures showing some of the morning's activity around the Durango roundhouse in October of 1966. The Rocky Mtn RR Club trip had been about a week before, and I was slowly making my way to Silverton, taking unofficial pictures along the way. I guess I should have waited for the official, sanitized pictures, but then we'd have nothing to look at these 40 years later. Take pictures often, whenever you can, and worry about the consequences later.
I got kicked out of the SP's Bayshore Yards shop facilities as a 15 year old, and learned quickly to take pictures, stay out of the way, and if I had to ask, make sure there were some pictures already taken in the camera. I was a lot luckier when I walked into the SP's Mission Bay roundhouse the same day and that was full of steam and no one paid any attention to me. I was threatened with physical harm by a guard at the E.J. Levino steel plant in Virginia when I was taking pictures of their steam in 1960, but there were already half a dozen pictures taken before he almost nabbed me. The D&RGW was great--I was never challenged, even when I wandered into the roundhouse in Denver to look at the few remaining standard gauge steam engines there.
Subject Author Posted

Durango Yard, 1966 *LINK*

Fritz Klinke November 12, 2006 08:44PM

Nice! *NM*

Jerry Halbert November 12, 2006 09:40PM

Re: Durango Yard, 1966

Dick Bell November 13, 2006 08:27AM

Take them now!

Steve Singer November 13, 2006 08:51AM

Thanks Again, Fritz! *NM*

Mike Trent November 13, 2006 07:30PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.