Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Durango Yard/Coal Tower *LINK*

November 10, 2006 06:42PM
Among the late Allen Nossaman's papers was a photo I sent him back in 1967 and that was recently returned to me. It was taken on October 19, 1965, early in the morning, and shows the 493 on the turntable lined for the coal tower. To the 493's left is the out of service 464 and then the car shop. There is steam rising from another engine hidden by the ramp leading up to the coal tower. This is one of my favorite photos, and it was used on a long ago Sundance calendar.
I was on my way to Ft. Eustis, Virginia for the start of my active duty Army service, and Durango and Silverton were always on the direct path, for me anyway, between the Bay Area and the eastern reaches of the country.
Within a very short time, this scene changed forever as the coal tower came down and the new reversing loop was built. I just came across a Durango Herald clipping where this all came about as part of a contract between the D&RGW and the Colorado Department of Highways. As the article states: "The highway department will remove the railroad turn-around loop near the present highway building and relocate it at the railroad roundhouse. All negotiations are complete on this project. 'There are no problems here,' says Casey [District Highway Engineer]."
The article also says "Meanwhile, the department is negotiating with local firms who have access to 13 Denver & Rio Grande railroad spurs where the track will have to be removed for the new highway." It also contains this: "recently there have been many rumors the routing might be changed due to the threatened abandonment of the D&RGW tracks south of town."
And this was all because of the new highway then being planned that would run along the river to the south of town, taking out the squatter setlement of Santa Rita in the process. And this is the highway we all use and enjoy to get through Durango today, so realize that it came at the expense of the railroad. The draconian changes to the yard that I think we all dislike can be attributed to one of our most dearly loved state institutions, the now named CDOT, Colorado Department of Transportation.
Subject Author Posted

Durango Yard/Coal Tower *LINK*

Fritz Klinke November 10, 2006 06:42PM

Re: Durango Yard/Coal Tower

Will Gleckler November 10, 2006 09:29PM

Mike Trent November 11, 2006 09:46AM

Festus November 13, 2006 07:35AM

Kevin Cook November 13, 2006 07:50AM

Re: Durango Yard/Coal Tower *PIC*

Jerry Halbert November 13, 2006 09:32AM

Robert Herronen November 13, 2006 09:50AM

Dick Bell November 13, 2006 10:01AM

Festus November 13, 2006 10:03AM

hogger42 November 13, 2006 11:24AM

Jerry Halbert November 13, 2006 10:28AM

Herb Kelsey November 15, 2006 02:27PM

waynek November 15, 2006 05:54PM

Herb Kelsey November 15, 2006 06:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.