Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Firing the Last Class 25 Steamer *LINK*

October 19, 2006 09:30AM
Here is my shot of the 3511 at Poupan in 1984.
This is not the sharpest since it was a machine print 8x10 that was scanned for my web site. Still it shows the thick black smoke that is normal as the fireman was discussing.
On this day, we saw the Red Devil on the daily passenger train SB to De Aar, then the Condensor Northbound.
I was lucky enough to catch it the day before as we were eating breakfast at Witput, and I caught it through the window headed to Orange River on Freight. Turns out it was on the local freight en route to De Aar to be positioned for the passenger run the next day. It was noon lighting at Orange River so the pics of the freight are not so great, but I could relate to the guy with the huge clinker in the firebox at Orange River as I watched them clean fires there many times(especially during the noon lull in photography).
On our 1977 trip we have photos of us sitting around on the front porch of Witput sipping drinks with a 25nc going by, and nobody paying any attention, to show how common place steam was there!!! What a great place it was! Sure glad I made the 2 trips....best steam show on earh I ever saw!!!
[www.gregschollvideo.com]
Greg
Subject Author Posted

Firing the Last Class 25 Steamer *LINK*

Greg Scholl October 18, 2006 08:16AM

Re: Firing the Last Class 25 Steamer *PIC*

Michael Allen October 18, 2006 10:09AM

Re: Firing the Last Class 25 Steamer *LINK*

Greg Scholl October 19, 2006 09:30AM

Re: Firing the Last Class 25 Steamer

Gavin Hamilton October 18, 2006 12:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.