Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Historical Ramifications of photo manipulation

October 11, 2006 01:29PM
I write this as an author who has written six books on the ET&WNC narrow gauge, and rely very heavily on the photographic record. It is also an observation about the newer forms of historical research.
To a large degree, for me, an old photo does not lie. It may be simply a snapshot in time, and the building in the shot can be torn down the following month, or the locomotive scrapped. But as a snapshot in time, it does not lie. The greatest problem is the photos that have been traded around by the photo collectors over the years, and the original documentation is long gone, and it takes an expert to tell that the photo was taken in 1935 rather than 1940, and be able to prove that by other research. Instances abound of mislabeled photos, even those in the collections of renowned railroad photo collectors. I will not name names.
But hey, that is what research is for, and it separates the researcher from the arm chair reader.
Now fast forward all this to the 21st century. I lived in a college town for 25 years, and while I was looking at old newspapers on microfilm, students were using the Internet for all of their research. It boggled one gals mind to have to find information on some rock stars suicide in 1969 by some means other than the internet.
Anyway, we are less than a generation from people who will not know how to look up anything without Google. I even use it to get started these days. Unfortunately, the Internet is the ultimate expression of the idea of no absolute truth. For on the internet, every one's opinion is equally valid. Qualifications go out the window. But that is a discussion for another day.
In regard to photographs. With Google Images now, if it has ever been posted on the web, someone can down load the image. With windows XP, you simply put the cursor over an image, and it asks you if you want to save it to your hard drive. Every chat group wants people who spend hard earned dollars to go a thousand miles to be at a convention or an event to post the pictures as quickly as possible, so they can download them for free. And yes, three fingers are pointing back at me as I point that finger, so no flaming please. Just an observation.
Anyway, the capability exists now for the explanation to be separated from the image within days of it being posted somewhere. A month or a year or a decade later, that photo becomes yet another "where and when is this photo" question. The experts will gather round, and by using deduction, knowledge, and intuition, will establish a circa date for the photo.
Now throw in the manipulated photo. 50 years from now, someone will swear that the Durango photo had to be taken in the 60s because McDs is not in the photo. Unfortunately that will be the guy who is writing the 1001st book on the D& Silverton, and that photo (for they will all be digital then) will make just as good a cover as any of the rest. Then hundreds or thousands of people will believe that photo.
I am not advocating any policy here, just thinking out loud. I almost wish that it be a legal requirement that digitally manipulated photos be coded like movies and TV programs. The rating changes the more it is changed. And if you get up to CCC (equavalent to XXX), then the naked gal on the locomotive was not originally there.LOL.
I'm just saying it will be a lot harder for future generations to be able to look at an old photo, and believe what they see.
I applaud those who have the time to add color to photos. I just know that I have resolved to not use a photo in a book that has been manipulated more than what an average guy could have done developing his 616s in a closet darkroom. Would rather have a poor picture in the book than one where someone would doubt its validity. A generation from now, someone else might be less stringent.
I guess we just need some way to tell real from Memorex.
Johnny Graybeal
Subject Author Posted

Historical Ramifications of photo manipulation

johnny graybeal October 11, 2006 01:29PM

Re: Historical Ramifications of photo manipulation

Robert Herronen October 11, 2006 02:48PM

Bill Calmes October 11, 2006 02:58PM

The BIGGER Ramifications to History

M Austin October 11, 2006 03:54PM

Re: The BIGGER Ramifications to History

Nathan Holmes October 11, 2006 05:49PM

Ron Keagle October 11, 2006 07:56PM

Jerry Day October 11, 2006 08:20PM

Nathan Holmes October 11, 2006 08:30PM

Re: Very Important Point

John Craft October 12, 2006 06:21AM

Rick Renz October 12, 2006 07:44AM

Al Patterson October 12, 2006 05:23PM

Al Patterson October 12, 2006 05:22PM

Andrew Brandon October 11, 2006 06:24PM

Brian Norden October 11, 2006 08:05PM

Lon Wall October 11, 2006 06:52PM

News Photography & Photoshop

Jerry Day October 11, 2006 08:37PM

Fascinating...

El Coke October 12, 2006 06:13PM

Re: Fascinating...

Brett Payne October 12, 2006 06:44PM

rick b October 13, 2006 12:20AM

Steve Stockham October 13, 2006 07:34AM

"Becky Sharp" and "rainsilver"

El Coke October 13, 2006 08:31AM

Re: "Becky Sharp" and "rainsilver"

Ed Stabler October 13, 2006 09:41AM

Re: "Becky Sharp" and "rainsilver"

rick b October 13, 2006 10:45AM

Reminds me of a John Prine song...

El Coke October 13, 2006 07:28PM

BW photography and filters *LINK*

Scott Turner October 14, 2006 10:01AM

Re: BW photography and filters

Richard "Bo" Boulware October 14, 2006 12:06PM

Richard "Bo" Boulware October 14, 2006 12:36PM

El Skonk October 16, 2006 05:13PM

rick b October 17, 2006 12:01AM

Greg Scholl October 17, 2006 08:26AM

El Skonk October 17, 2006 09:35AM

Re: News Photography & Photoshop

rick b October 13, 2006 12:15AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.