Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG but used to be-Knox & Kane

July 31, 2006 12:03PM
End of an era...
County believes Knox and Kane Railroad is finished
By Amy A. Thompson, Clarion News writer
PAINT TWP. – If someone hears trains whistle it is most likely coming from the collection of a railroad enthusiast than from the Knox and Kane Railroad, which used to run through Paint Township .
County and state officials have confirmed the train, which ceased operation late last December for safety reasons, isn’t likely to run again.
“I think it’s done,” said Clarion County Commissioner David Cyphert.
Cyphert said conservative estimates for fixing the line were at least $20 million, which was too expensive to attract private ownership.
Clarion County Economic Development Corp. Executive Director Brad Ehrhart said in the past, businesses had complained of the train derailing, which led train officials to pull the train from operation last winter.
Local and state officials including Gov. Edward G. Rendell’s Action Team had been in talks concerning the train for the last couple of years.
“I think the governor had taken a personal interest in the train as well as the department of transportation,” said Kirk Wilson, spokesman with the state Department of Transportation.
Wilson explained reconstructing the railroad would not only have been a PennDOT effort but also would have involved efforts from the state Department of Community and Economic Development.
“I know the governor worked to try to make this work,” Wilson said.
Wilson said the governor could acquire the funding from the state for reconstruction but the two counties involved, Clarion and Jefferson, could not afford a required local match.
“I don’t think commissioners from the two counties were able to make the commitment for the funds involved to meet the match,” Wilson said. “I don’t think they (the two counties) had half of it (the required match),” Wilson added.
At one point there also was discussion about forming a railroad authority, which would operate under the Public Utility Commission. Cyphert explained the reason an authority was considered was because an authority has different funding opportunities than a private entity does.
But ultimately, putting the necessary money into the line no longer made sense because only one industry, Clarion Boards Inc., would benefit from its presence, Ehrhart said.
State Rep. Fred McIlhattan (R-63) explained officials had to look at the return on investment.
“It just does not make economic sense for the railroad,” Ehrhart noted.
Ehrhart said Clarion Boards is continuing to use the DuBois Reload Center for its deliveries and taking shipments there by truck.
Ehrhart said other job growth in the area such as the Beaver Township Industrial Park would not need a rail line but instead would benefit from its close proximity to Interstate 80.
“I think everybody did everything they could,” said McIlhattan.
Telephone calls to Sloane Cornell, the Knox and Kane Railroad owner, Clarion Boards Inc. officials and the governor’s action team were not returned.
Subject Author Posted

NNG but used to be-Knox & Kane

Todd Hunter July 31, 2006 12:03PM

Re: Kinzua Bridge

Mark Fuller July 31, 2006 12:22PM

Craig July 31, 2006 01:53PM

Bruce R. Pier July 31, 2006 05:26PM

RGSW July 31, 2006 06:16PM

Re: Kinzua Bridge *LINK*

RGSW July 31, 2006 06:19PM

Bill Dennehy August 01, 2006 05:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.