Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Georgia narrow gauge *PIC*

July 18, 2006 01:10AM
Hi,
Now that my book on one of the narrow gauges in Georgia is selling fairly well, I thought I'd share a portion of one of the Sanborn maps from Monroe GA.
The map is roughly oriented with North to the right.
The top most track is the sg Ga RR to service the Monroe Warehouse and Fertilizer Company and allows access to the depot. The next is a narrow gauge Gainesville Midland track probably for access to the depot.
The next track is both sg and ng and I think it might be an indication that it is a Ramsey Transfer.
The next track is narrow gauge for goods transfer between ng and sg cars.
The last track is dual gauge for access to Southern Cotton Oil.
North along the narrow gauge about a half mile or so is a passing siding and turntable. In post 1914 Sanborn maps (after the ng was converted to sg), there was an industrial spur up there for a lumber yard. The turntable had no engine tracks, just the turntable lead.
The Sanborn maps also showed that the GA RR had a passing siding south of the main interchange yard and passenger depot about a half mile away. No turning facilities have showed up.
One thing I'd never thought about is the industries associated with cotton production that were not related to cloth or clothing. The cotton seed oil company was new to me and the Guano/Fertilizer side line is obvious but I had not thought about it until I started studying the Sanborn maps.
I hope you find this interesting.
Doug
Subject Author Posted

Georgia narrow gauge *PIC*

Douglas vV July 18, 2006 01:10AM

Re: Georgia narrow gauge

Kevin July 18, 2006 11:15AM

Re: Georgia narrow gauge *LINK*

Douglas vV July 18, 2006 12:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.