Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Kevin Bush
July 19, 2006 09:18PM
Good point on the blower. The past few trips I have made I have tried cracking the blower in places where light throttle is used. Made a difference. Instead of the pressure staying put, I could now make steam. Not quickly, but it was gaining. I know the railroad well enough now that I can turn the blower on before they shut off. They always shut off on the same spots every single trip. One thing I am glad I haven't done is become what these guys like to call "landmark fireman" or enginemen. Some fireman here fire using trees or rocks along the line and they wonder why on a certain trip they don't have any water when they top the hill. They fail to compensate for the conditions. Usually a different engineer.
Yes, I am paying close attention to what i'm doing. I don't consider myself a perfectionist, but I like to keep her hot thats for sure. Everytime I fire for the CMO Mike Grimm he laughs at how relaxed I look. I probably do and I feel relaxed but I believe I am always thinking about what's going on. It is awefully easy to space out though. You know that, John. You run the damned thing day in and day out...it's going to happen. I have done that before. I have spaced out thinking about what I am doing! I'll be in thought then all of the sudden "oh man!". I'll look back in the cab and see I've got 170lbs of pressure because my injector has been running for a minute and a half...or since I had 195lbs. Usually I mess up going back from Keystone. We are backing up and I sit backwards away from everything. I just occasionally look over my shoulder to see everything. But it's better than what most guys do. They just let the engineer watch the railroad and they sit facing the stack and train like idiots. Not watching the crossings or anything. They just have their eyes locked on the steam pressure gauge. Sometimes I sit in the window with my feet on the seat. That's not too bad...especially on these hot days.
Subject Author Posted

Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Kevin July 12, 2006 08:04PM

Shane Schabow July 12, 2006 10:58PM

Ed Stabler July 13, 2006 04:56AM

tallow pot July 13, 2006 08:13AM

Jim Adams July 14, 2006 09:11AM

Kevin Bush July 18, 2006 11:25AM

John Bush July 19, 2006 07:17AM

Kevin Bush July 19, 2006 09:18PM

Tom Moungovan July 14, 2006 07:37AM

Chester Louis July 13, 2006 10:14AM

Gavin Hamilton July 13, 2006 03:44PM

Bill Hobbs July 13, 2006 09:48PM

Gavin Hamilton July 14, 2006 03:20PM

My two centavos

El Coke July 14, 2006 03:17PM

Re: My two centavos

Smokey July 17, 2006 06:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.