Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Is Chama ready if a yard fire started?

June 06, 2006 10:42PM
The coaling tower did not have lightning rods, at least at the time of my last visit to Chama three years ago. At some point in time the sheave house (top of the tipple) will need some roofing and structural restoration, and that would be a good time to install lightning rods. Shouldn't be a major task, once one finds a safe way to access the elevation for repairs. I suppose that there is no great urgency since the tipple has with stood thunderstorms for over 80 years!
A pre-piped sprinkler system on the tipple would probably be unwarranted. The standpipe connection would likely still be within the collapse danger zone for the fire department. Ground directed fire streams would likely be adequate for all elevations of the tipple except for the sheave canopy.
I reiterate the merits of creating some car separation within the storage tracks of the main yard.
Simple things such as monitored automatic fire alarm systems in the major structures would be appropriate.
I don't know what the capability of the Chama FD, or the capacity of the domestic water supply could provide. Perhaps Warren Smalley has access to a current Insurance Services Office ( ISO) report.
Ideally, the water from the RR water tower could be utilized for fire protection purposes. This would require a modern, high capacity hydrant capable of feeding a Chama pumper. Similarly, it would be beneficial to assure that electrical
service to the river inlet pump was on a circuit independent of the shop building, so that pump access could be maintained during a fire in the shop.
For the last several years, FEMA money has been readily available for most any fire safety project. Unfortunately, the present federal grant programs focus mostly on firefighter and public safety purposes.
I'd agree with Greg that at some point in time, the RR Officials need to get with the Village Fire Department and do some scenario pre-plans.
On the other hand, it has been 106 years since the last major fire in the rail years, so what is the hurry?
Subject Author Posted

Not Narrow Gauge, but important *LINK*

David May 26, 2006 09:15PM

Re: Not Narrow Gauge, but important *LINK*

David May 31, 2006 06:38PM

Re: Not Narrow Gauge, but important

stuart olson May 31, 2006 06:51PM

PRSL June 01, 2006 08:03PM

David June 01, 2006 08:36PM

PRSL June 02, 2006 06:31AM

Al P. June 02, 2006 04:49PM

David June 02, 2006 05:45PM

PRSL June 05, 2006 08:02AM

Greg Scholl June 05, 2006 08:37AM

John Wilke June 05, 2006 11:36PM

Greg Scholl June 06, 2006 06:34AM

PRSL June 06, 2006 07:42AM

Greg Scholl June 06, 2006 09:14AM

PRSL June 06, 2006 04:46PM

George Gaskill June 06, 2006 12:27PM

David June 06, 2006 08:40AM

John Wilke June 06, 2006 10:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.