Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Climax Mine - ah memories!

May 11, 2006 08:05AM
Not only is the line disconnected at both ends, but the RR formerly connected to at the Leadville end, while still intact, is no longer operating (former D&RGW Tennessee Pass/Royal Gorge line). I can't imagine that the small amount of concentrate Climax'll produce would induce the UP to reopen that part of the line.
Interesting to hear the mine may reopen, though. I was a miner at Climax for a short time in the early '70's, just before things started going south for AMAX. At the time, it was the largest underground complex in N America. The job was "entertaining" enough that it was what finally convinced me it was time to quit goofing around and go to college.
Climax was also the first place I ever swung a spike maul - doing minor track work during my orientation period down on "600" level.
The RR underground on "Stork" level where I worked most of my time there was quite the operation. It was powered by 20 and 30 ton electric motors, and dispatched by a guy who was physically located underground at the first switch at the start of actual workings - hence he was called "One switch".
Were the mine to reopen, however, I doubt there'd be any rail operations. I expect most mining would now be in the open pit rather than underground, and entirely conveyor and truck based.
Scott
Subject Author Posted

Climax Mine reopening (OT)

Jonathan May 10, 2006 10:03PM

Re: Climax Mine reopening (OT)

Nick Gully May 10, 2006 11:52PM

tom casper May 11, 2006 04:54AM

Jerry Day May 11, 2006 07:36AM

Re: Climax Mine - ah memories!

Scott Turner May 11, 2006 08:05AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.