Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Iceing Reefer

May 07, 2006 02:32PM
Reefers do have an insulated door under the outer roof hatch. At least that is how the 40' cars are set up.
I was charged to install a new roof walk and dropped a wrench through the open hatch. (note to self--close the hatch when doing this next time). Thus I count myself among the lucky few who are intimate with the ice bunker of a 40' car. (If you are going to do this yourself, I suggest a good diet plan, or getting a 6th grader to get the tool for you!). (Don' do this at home!)
The bunker is made of wire mesh, as I recall. There is a mesh bottom, held above the bottom of the deck several inches (of course the wrench fell through this too!). Below this is a galvanized drip pan with a drain.
As I recall, the mesh must hav extended across the end of the car, about 24-30 inches in from the end. Tight enough that you could not turn around down there.
The inner hatch was made by someone else (they were beautiful). I figure there was a wood frame with a soft insulation material, all wrapped in burlap. They dropped into the inner roof, plugging it tight. I don't know what good it would do to prop open the outer hatch without opening the inner hatch as you often see in photos. I believe the inner hatch was hinged on the opposite side, and you would see these inner doors flopped open on the roof.
Keith
Subject Author Posted

Iceing Reefer

frankmartindell May 05, 2006 09:45AM

Fred May 05, 2006 11:46AM

Keith Hayes May 07, 2006 02:32PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.