Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zen and The Art of Locomotive Firing *PIC*

April 17, 2006 09:43PM
Phil,
If you truly wish to become one with the locomotive, and in doing so attain nirvana (a little buddhism never hurts), you must come to know the locomotive intimately. You must caress the locomotive, letting it know that you intend to treat her well. Only then will she treat you kindly, and run as a truly content machine.
The personification of the above statement was on October 3, 2004 - final revenue Extra Train behind #40. I'm sitting in the left hand seat, firing for Howard. Once through the cut, Howard opens the throttle and lets her walk up the Ladder Track and around High Fill. Chugging around High Fill at a pretty good clip, watching the steam gauge sit just under 180 lbs, I listen to 40 do what she does so well and happily - she loves to run a little fast, and put on a show. I don't think I had to touch any controls from the cut up to Plume. That engine fires like a dream when she runs fast - she loves to run fast, and she lets you know it.
If anyone would like a larger version of this photo, let me know and I can send you one.
Shane
Subject Author Posted

Zen and The Art of Locomotive Firing *PIC*

Shane Schabow April 17, 2006 09:43PM

ATTN: Phil Reader - see above message *NM*

Shane Schabow April 17, 2006 09:44PM

Re: Zen and The Art of Locomotive Firing

Rod Jensen April 17, 2006 10:23PM

Shane Schabow April 17, 2006 11:10PM

Rod Jensen April 17, 2006 11:27PM

Re: Zen and The Art of Locomotive Firing *PIC*

Ron Ruhoff April 19, 2006 06:04AM

Skip Luke April 19, 2006 03:11PM

Phil Reader April 19, 2006 04:31PM

Skip Luke April 20, 2006 03:07PM

Ron Ruhoff April 19, 2006 05:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.