Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tourism in Durango and Movies

March 30, 2006 08:51AM
The talk of movies got me thinking, is there a complete list of movies, or does anyone know all the movies made during the late 40s through the late 60s? I am doing a paper on tourism in Durango during this time and am referencing the movies filmed as one of the draws to the area.
I remember going to the Silver Spur motel in Durango and seeing the John Wayne Suite, I assume he stayed there. What movie (if there was one) did he film in the area?
My thesis is to show how films, the rise of automobiles, Mesa Verde, and proximity to a semi-major U.S. highway, coupled with a desire to see the "Authentic West" before it disappeared drew tourists to the area. I also am trying to show how it was a perceived authenticity, not necessarily genuine authenticity as what the tourist essentially wanted to see.
I plan to contrast the Silverton with Disney’s and Knott’s attempts to fabricate authenticity, as well as how during the 70s a more authentic railroad (C&TS) did not draw tourists because of the shift to what I term “comfortable authenticity.” Which is despite the fact that Chama and Antonito were located along U.S. highways as well, by the 1970s tourists were less willing to stay in locations that did not have a Best Western, Holiday Inn, or a McDonalds.
Thanks
Josh
p.s. If anyone has any experiences, memories, or helpful info in general they wish to share and would not mind me quoting and citing you in my paper, feel free to email me, or post a response.
Thanks again
Subject Author Posted

Tourism in Durango and Movies

Josh McNeal March 30, 2006 08:51AM

Re: Tourism in Durango and Movies

Andy Miller March 30, 2006 05:42PM

Rod Jensen March 30, 2006 11:22PM

Bill Ramaley March 31, 2006 09:18AM

Anyone remember "Cannon"?

Edward March 31, 2006 01:42PM

Re: Anyone remember "Cannon"?

Bill Ramaley March 31, 2006 02:19PM

Edward March 31, 2006 03:05PM

Re: Anyone remember "Cannon"? *LINK*

Bill Ramaley April 01, 2006 09:14AM

Jerry Halbert March 31, 2006 03:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.