Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gold Steam

December 08, 2000 09:52AM
I just bought a real photo post card of a gold steam engine. All I can see is the 4xx. Was one of the engines painted Rio Grande gold for a movie such as "Ticket to Tomahawk"? What year?
I imagine that the paint scheme only lasted as long as the movie. Sure is a very different steam engine!!
There have been some comments here lately that if one of the D,RGW engines can not be made operable you might as well scrap it. Well, I say that all of them should be preserved. It is the fate of most steam engines not to be operational as we enter this now century. But operation is not the only value they have. Go to almost any railroad museum that displays steam and watch the kids who are thrilled. They don't know any details; those they can learn as they get older.
Or to put it another way, I work at a maritime museum (another kind of old things that move) that has a sailing ship built in 1886, she has not been to sea under her own power since 1936. But we can transport 250,000 people each year back in time with pictures and stories and they love it. By the way she was launched on Dec. 9th.
We do it not for the 10% of ship buffs that come in the door but the 90% of ordinary people who just want to learn a little history.
Subject Author Posted

Gold Steam

Ted_Miles December 08, 2000 09:52AM

Re: Gold Steam

Fred T December 08, 2000 09:59AM

Mark Stoeckel December 08, 2000 11:55AM

Ken Martin December 08, 2000 05:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.