Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&S Loco, cars paint colors, '20's

December 11, 2005 09:03AM
Stan,
It's interesting that you should mention the "Hardware replacement" that seems so prevalent on some of the restored or surviving equipment on display.
When I first start working in Central City, the combine No. 20 had a Hardware store replacement lock. We were told that the original UPD&G cast door handle and lockplate were "Preserved" by a California railfan and were currently in his basement.
After the operation opened, it took about two days before the marker lamps on the 20 turned up missing. To this day I have no idea where those nice old oil fired rear end markers are.
In my opinion this "Basement Preservation" is no more than theft.
As an aside, there was a time when we left the Roundhouse in Cheyenne unlocked. This ended when we showed up to fire up the 8444 for an excursion and all of the gauge bezels were missing.
Railfans wonder why they are run off railroad property. Sometimes it is because of very unpleasant experiences before these rules are put into place.
The C&S passenger color was called a "Coach Green" and was a bit lighter than Pullman Green.
As Mike said, the locomotives were painted black and Aluminum. When I repainted C&S 71, the paint color that I found the lettering done in was Aluminum. Beneath that color, in an earlier apparition, I found gold lettering and numbering as amatter of fact, the gold on the number plate was so heavily varnished that a new coat of aluminum paint wouldn't stick. The Aluminum leaf was used on the passenger equipment and is very evident on the B-3-C locomotives in some of the remaining movies of the time. There is absoultely no evidence that white was ever used on C&S narrow gauge locomotives.
If you are painting any of your locomotives with the "intertwined" C&S cab herald, remember to do it in dulux gold. There is too much misinformation out there stating that it was Aluminum.
Rick Steele
Subject Author Posted

C&S Loco, cars paint colors, '20's

Stan December 10, 2005 11:40AM

Mike Trent December 10, 2005 12:55PM

Yet another shameless plug for Coker R.R. Art

El Coke December 10, 2005 01:34PM

Re: Yet another shameless plug for Coker R.R. Art

Mike Trent December 10, 2005 01:54PM

Stan December 10, 2005 05:07PM

Rick Steele December 11, 2005 09:03AM

Richard "Bo" Boulware December 10, 2005 03:28PM

Stan December 10, 2005 05:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.