Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Train Schedules

Earl Knoob
November 25, 2000 07:58AM
If you are looking for old schedules, the Colorado RR Museum sells reprints of old employee timetables. I have one I bought from them dating from 1919. I know they have reprinted others too.
I am not sure when the through train from Alamosa to Silverton was cut back to Durango, as late as 1919 there was still through service.
In 1919 #115 left Alamosa at 700AM and arrived in Chama at 1159AM with stops in La Jara, Romeo, Antonito (with connection to the Santa Fe Br.), Osier & Cumbres. #115 left Chama at 1220PM and arrived in Durango at 535PM with stops in Lumberton, Dulce, Pagosa Jct. (with connection to Pagosa Springs), Arboles, Ignacio & Carbon Jct. The eastbound train was met at Monero. #115 left Durango at 550PM and arrived in Silverton at 835PM with stops at Trimble, Hermosa (where a meet was made with the triweekly Silverton mixed), Rockwood and Tacoma.
The eastbound #116 departed Silverton at 620AM, arrived in Durango at 845AM, departed Durango at 900AM, Arrived in Chama 220PM, Departed Chama at 240PM arriving Alamosa 810PM. I have heard there was no RPO service between Durango and Silverton, so the RPO car would have been cut in and out in Durango, the baggage, coaches and parlor car would remain at through cars.
By the 1940's, the train ran a bit faster and the eastbound left Durango much later. #215 left Alamosa at 700AM arriving in Chama at 1110AM. Stops were the same as in 1919, except Osier was dropped. #215 left Chama 1115 and arrived in Durango 405PM. The meet between the trains was moved to Carracas. The other stops remained the same.
The eastbound #216 left Durango at 1115AM, arrived in Chama 400PM and after a quick 5 minute stop, headed for Alamosa, arriving there at 830PM.
The early days when 4-6-0's hauled the train, locomotives would have been changed in Chama and Durango going each way, and a helper engine added to the eastbound in Chama for the climb up Cumbres Pass. With the advent of the modern power in the 1920's, the locomotives usually ran all the way through from Alamosa to Durango. Until the 7 K-28's were sent to the WP&Y in 1942, it was common to have a spare K-28 in Chama as protection power for the passenger trains. Under most circumstances, helpers were no longer needed over Cumbres eastbound, although when traffic got heavy, or the snow got deep, trains were doubleheaded.
Subject Author Posted

Train Schedules

Dutch Shaver November 24, 2000 09:02AM

Re: Train Schedules *PIC*

Jay Wimer November 24, 2000 10:14AM

Re: Train Schedules

Earl Knoob November 25, 2000 07:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.