Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Roaring Camp's #7 Shay rescued their #50 diesel

September 29, 2005 09:04PM
After spending last week in San Jose on business, I was able to get out to Felton on Friday and Saturday.
On Saturday afternoon, something happened with the #50 diesel. It apparently locked up - while its prime mover was idling, the locomotive was not moving. It was fouling the lower balloon track around the depot. A wedding party had chartered the excursion train, so they needed to clear the balloon track in order to head up the hill. The crew pulled the train (shay #7 and the passenger train) over to the diesel, coupled on to it, and slowly dragged it back roughly 1/2 way around the balloon track until it cleared the switch that leads to the shops. The crew then shoved it forward onto the lead that goes to their shop area, uncoupled it, then backed the passenger train back into the depot. After loading the wedding party, the train headed up the hill. While I was busy photographing the shay, another diesel came out of the shop and pulled the disabled #50 back to the shops.
I needed to get back to San Jose and to the airport, so I wasn't able to stick around and inquire as to what had happened with #50. Does anybody know what happened?
I'd post pictures of #7 dragging #50, but I haven't yet mastered converting my oversized jpegs into a size that is more compatible with dialup users.
--
Chris Webster
[www.speakeasy.org]
Subject Author Posted

Roaring Camp's #7 Shay rescued their #50 diesel

Chris Webster September 29, 2005 09:04PM

Re: Roaring Camp's #7 Shay rescued their #50 diese

Bill Pratt September 29, 2005 09:28PM

Tom Shreve October 01, 2005 09:26PM

KWilcomb October 01, 2005 11:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.