Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

News Regarding "Surviving World Steam Locomotives"

November 14, 2000 07:52AM
News Regarding "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" for November 2000
"Surviving World Steam Locomotives" is a CD-ROM for Microsoft Windows. For more information, please visit my website
at [www.pernet.net].
*** Contents ***
· Order "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" worldwide on your credit card, at no extra charge, using "PayPal"
· "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" has been updated for November 2000
· Reviews of "Surviving World Steam Locomotives"
· A "Surviving World Steam Locomotive" program tip
· New product announcement – "Surviving World Steam Vehicles"
*** Order "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" worldwide on your credit card, at no extra charge, using "PayPal" ***
The question I have been asked most often over the past two years is "can I buy your program, and charge it to my credit
card.?" Most of these have been from prospective customers outside of North America. Until November, 2000; the answer
had been "No", because the number of copies I have sold did not justify paying for a merchant account (which lets you receive
credit card orders.)
Now, I am able to receive credit card orders for a very small fee per order using PayPal (http://www.paypal.com).
Furthermore, PayPal is now able to receive credit card orders from outside of the United States.
You can set up an account with PayPal either by going to the above URL, or clicking on the Paypal logo on my website. If you
decide to use the link on my website, I will receive U$5.00 for referring you; you will also receive $5.00 in your Paypal
account, which you can then apply to your order. To use PayPal, simply click on the buttons next to items you want on the
order webpage (http://www.pernet.net/~james1/us_steam/ordering.htm).
*** "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" has been updated for November 2000 ***
The "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" database has been updated for the month of November, 2000. It now contains
17,589 steam locomotives; up 500 since the last update in May, 2000. Thousands of records have also been updated or
completed; several duplicates have also been identified and deleted. Information from two more countries is now included,
bringing the total to 132.
The program now includes 500 photographs and ten sound clips. The photographs now include a rare Kitson-Meyer
articulated locomotive preserved in Chile. Photographs of American-built steam locomotives on the island of Madagascar and
in Central America are also included. You can also add your own photographs to the database, as well as links to additional
sound clips (.wav files).
Those who have already purchased a copy can order an update. The update includes 200 pictures, many of which do not ship
with the program. Updates include an "Update Wizard", which transfers pictures and sound clip links to the update from your
current copy before overwriting it. Thus, you needn’t worry about losing your picture collection with each update.
Both the program and updates can now be ordered from the order webpage at
[www.pernet.net].
*** Reviews of "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" ***
There are now several reviews of "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" that will be available shortly. A review appears in the
third quarter 2000 issue of "Grand Scale Quarterly". A review by Kieth Chester will also appear on Rob Dickinson’s
"International Working Steam Locomotives" website at [dialspace.dial.pipex.com]. And the premier
issue of "Smale Scale Steam", to be released at the Diamondhead January 2001 show at Gulfport, Mississippi, USA should
also feature a review of "Surviving World Steam Locomotives". If you would like an unbiased third-party opinion on "Surviving
World Steam Locomotives", I refer you to these reviews.
*** A "Surviving World Steam Locomotive" program tip ***
The "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" database is broken out into geological regions: North America, the UK, Europe,
Australiasia, Asia, Africa, and Central & South America. If you are interested in locomotives in just one geographical region,
select that region FIRST using the program’s View Menu. THEN search for or sort the locomotives you are interested in.
Restricting your search at the beginning to a single region will dramatically improve the program’s performance, even if you
have thousands of pictures in the database. To search the entire world once again, either de-select that region from the View
menu, or select All from the View menu.
*** New product announcement – "Surviving World Steam Vehicles" ***
A website describing a sister project to "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" is now available at
[www.pernet.net]. Called "Surviving World Steam Vehicles", it is a database of surviving steam road
vehicles worldwide, including
· Traction Engines (Steam Tractors)
· Steam Rollers
· Steam Cars
· Steam Wagons (Trucks)
· Steam Fire Pumpers
· Portable Steam Engines and Boilers
· Steam Shovels, Dredges and Draglines (not mounted on barges or rails)
· Steam Bicycles, Loggers, and other rare vehicles.
I was going to release an initial CD-ROM this month, but the amount of photographs and data that
is coming in is so great that I am postponing it till everything on hand is entered. The website includes a status page which gives
the status to date.
If you have any questions about "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" or "Surviving World Steam Vehicles", please feel free
to contact me.
-James Hefner james1@pernet.net">(james1@pernet.net)
Hebrews 10:20a
Subject Author Posted

News Regarding "Surviving World Steam Locomotives"

James Hefner November 14, 2000 07:52AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.