Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uintah 50

November 04, 2000 08:13PM
I am currently building Uintah 50 in 2.5" to the foot scale which is 20.833% of full size. Perhaps some of you can help with some questions:
1. I have heard it is difficult to get info out of Sacremento. Does anyone have another source for a Baldwin Olive Green paint chip or description?
2. At some point the lettering and pinstriping that Baldwin applied was changed. Was the engine repainted at that time? Did it remain olive green for the entire time it was on the Uintah?
3. The errection drawings show the location of the brake cylinder for the front engine. Does anyone know any details about the brake cylinder for the rear engine?
4. On page 157 of Bender's book it states that the middle pair of driving wheels in each truck have plain tires. I have carefully looked at many photos and it appears to me that indeed those center drivers had flanges. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
5. It appears from various photos that 50 and 51 each had ARA section D couplers. Can any of you perhaps start a discussion about the various couplers that were used on the Uintah?
6. We are all aware of the reasons for adding a second steam dome (and lowering the crown sheet). Does anyone know if they used one steam dome for going down hill and the other for going up hill?
It appears to me that the second steam dome was as far behind the actual center of the boiler (measured from the front flue sheet to the backhead) as the front steam dome was in front of the center of the boiler.
I will greatly appreciate any help I can get with this project. It sure sounds like there are a lot of folks in this discussion group with a lot of knowledge about and interest in the Uintah RY.
Subject Author Posted

Uintah 50

Van Austin November 04, 2000 08:13PM

Re: Uintah 50

Rodger Polley November 04, 2000 10:19PM

Curtis F. November 05, 2000 02:34PM

Earl Knoob November 06, 2000 09:14AM

Rodger Polley November 06, 2000 10:24PM

Dennis O'Berry November 06, 2000 11:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.