Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

K-28 #7??? and Diesel

November 03, 2000 06:38AM
As mentioned below I have been viewing some film to tape transfers of my dads old 8mm stuff. There is a series of Rocky Mountain RR Club trips that includes the Silverton run(probably 1956??)
Anyway there were several odd things about this run. (1) One of the 470's was modified, I would guess for a movie, with a fake stack, a very large headlight and number 7. It was the road engine for the special train.
(2) There was a helper engine....Army diesel...not the one with the side rods that was usually the Durango switcher.
(3) They had a runby on the highline of all places with scores of folks scattered about. They took the diesel off for the runby.
Interesting also on another Silverton run(a different year) my dad was sitting in the cupola which was behind the engine, with two cinder cars of ballast between the caboose and the 476. He got some real nice shots of them stopping north of Neddleton and dumping the ballast real close to where the river and tracks were together. I would guess this was a notorious bad spot that probably washed out regularly. Then on the return trip they stopped at Elk Park to pick-up a flat car with a bulldozer and a box car. This truly was the Silverton mixed in those days. Also there were about 1/3 of the coaches yellow, and the rest were green. Was fun to watch even though the quality was real mixed.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

K-28 #7??? and Diesel

Greg Scholl November 03, 2000 06:38AM

Re: K-28 #7??? and Diesel

Earl November 03, 2000 10:48AM

1954 sounds right

Greg Scholl November 03, 2000 01:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.