Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Collectors vs. chiselers

June 27, 2005 08:20PM
The "confetti" tale reminds me of a good story. Collectors often complain about beig bugged incessantly by various individuals who "are writing a book", and just want to "borrow" a couple of photos. The sad truth is many photos were stolen that way. One collector actually caught one jerk secretly photographing his collection!
Well here is a tale of the tables turned! A well- known collector (no names) purchased a medium collection from a the widow of a deceased L.A. railfan. He was looking for Colorado material, but someone already "cherry-picked" that. However there were hundreds of unpublished photos of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge and the Pacific Coast Ry. Also there was a huge ( 300+) collection of 1930s Pacific Electric . Apparently the guy went down to the P.E. rip track and photographed EVERYTHING! All of them nice clear ,well-lit shots. Lots of wooden cars, including mail and express cars, all gone after WWII. Both of us being native Angelenos, we knew this was hot stuff. Well, a Bay Area collector of Western trolley photos was intrerested, but had to "look over" the collection first. "Fine", my friend replied, "but I need a $3000 deposit". Grudgingly ,the juice collector sent the deposit, and he was sent the P.E. collection. Shortly afterward, my fried received a warning that this guy was a notorious chiseler. His "modus operandi" was to shoot copy negs of each photo and return the collection, saying it was worthless! A few days later this jerk did just that!
"This collection is garbage! Why, there is nothing here of value, nothing I haveen't seen before! I am returning it." My dear old friend replied, "I already cashed your check. I have it on very good authority that this collection is unique. Seems you have quite a reputation for stealing photos. Keep the collection.It is yours," "Why," jerkimer replied,"I will sue you!" "Go ahead", my friend laughed.I am wealthy.I keep a lawyer on retainer just for dealing with chiselers like you!" End of conversation . Done deal. Case closed.
Subject Author Posted

Collectors vs. chiselers

El Coke June 27, 2005 08:20PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.