Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Museums and historians....let's hear from you *LINK*

June 22, 2005 02:45PM
A lot of us in this hobby are reaching our "golden years" as they say. Which are indeed golden for some, and not so golden for others. I'm 65 and fortunately still chasing trains. Which means my wife probably thinks dementia is already setting in....how many train pictures do I really need?
A lot of us old farts have "collections" of varying kinds....paper, pictures, hardware, so on....stuff we've picked up over the years with widely varying degrees of focus and purpose.
I would be so bold as to opine that a lot of this stuff is of little historic value, or very duplicative of stuff already in appropriate archives. But who knows for sure. I and a lot of others who have this stuff are probably not the best judges of what is historically significant and what is not.
The simple answer is that we could all just donate this stuff to various museums. If that actually happened with regularity the museum system would probably be totally overwhelmed. There would not be enough warehouse to protect it, much less enough curators to sort through it, catalogue it, and so on, much less display or shelf space. We have a lot of collectors in this hobby.
The ideal solution, which I doubt will happen, is for a few of the museums to publish some guidelines for what they would like to see donated, which museums are appropriate for what, and how to do it.
My reason for making this post is the hope that maybe some of those museum folks will read this and actually think about it....and maybe prove me wrong by actually doing something.
And then there is probably another category which is stuff that is not of real historic value but of interest to "collectors".
I pretty much know that somebody will want my Bodie and Benton annual pass, and my 1902 NWP rule book will probably have value. But it gets more interesting when you get to my slide and photo collection, not to mention my drawers full of timetables, rule books and special instructions. Most of them will probably go to the dust bin. I figure my books can go to the local library.
As somebody mentioned in an earlier thread, it would be good to appoint a (younger, healthier) railfan/historian to help your poor spouse deal with all this stuff, or to advise the executor if it is not your spouse.
Obviously prejudices, life experiences, friendships, percieved injustices, and all that will influence what we do with this stuff. But it seems to me some published guidelines from the folks who actually preserve stuff and interprete history would be very helpful.
John old fart West
Subject Author Posted

Museums and historians....let's hear from you *LINK*

John West June 22, 2005 02:45PM

Re: Museums and historians....let's hear from you

J. B. Bowers June 22, 2005 03:23PM

Earl June 22, 2005 03:19PM

Eugene June 22, 2005 05:43PM

John West June 22, 2005 06:40PM

What is of value?

Dick Seelye June 22, 2005 07:34PM

Re: What is of value?

John West June 22, 2005 09:16PM

Re: What is of value?

Eugene June 23, 2005 03:24PM

Dennis June 22, 2005 07:15PM

I'm lazy

John West June 22, 2005 09:03PM

Re: Museums, historians (+ hystericans & foamers)

Russ Sperry June 23, 2005 02:46AM

Re: Museums, historians (+ hystericans & foamers)

Henry Baker June 23, 2005 07:57AM

Museums probably not.... *LINK*

Rodger Polley June 22, 2005 11:06PM

Don't forget local libraries

Philip Walters June 22, 2005 10:00PM

Re: Don't forget local libraries

Ted Miles June 23, 2005 09:55AM

Figuring out what's valuable

John West June 23, 2005 10:22AM

Museum websites

John West June 23, 2005 10:49AM

Re: Museum websites *LINK* *PIC*

Randy Hees June 23, 2005 04:22PM

Re: Figuring out what's valuable

Ted Miles June 23, 2005 10:49PM

High Commander June 23, 2005 02:44PM

John Kyler June 23, 2005 04:07PM

Ted Miles June 23, 2005 11:03PM

High Commander June 24, 2005 11:23AM

A final comment (at least from me)

John West June 24, 2005 11:03AM

Re: A final comment (at least from me)

High Commander June 24, 2005 12:14PM

Re: Good service from CRRM

Gavin Hamilton June 24, 2005 01:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.