Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving Out West

Jack W
October 30, 2000 02:07AM
Good Day Everyone,
I posted this same message over on the "Goat" a few days ago. The people who answered were very reassuring that I was doing the right thing for my family, however they were unable to answer any of the other question I asked. So I thought I would try over here. Thanks for your time.
As a man who is lucky (not smart) enough to be in a position where I can soon retire at the age of 40 and wants to make the C&TS or the D&S his new career, I have a few questions you may be able to answer. I have been working part time for a eastern tourist line and believe this is what I would really like to do. However, I would like to get out of the big city and take the family out west. Chama fits the bill perfectly. Durango is not bad either as long as it doesn't get much bigger. One McDonalds is enough.
1-What is the work schedule like for the operating crews. Do they work you 7 days a week or do you ever get a day off?
2-Do the engine crews also work in the shops?
a-Always?
b-Sometimes?
c-If an engineer is seen in the shop he gets a wrench in the side of the head for making so much work for the shop crew.
3-Do the operating crews work all year round, shop in the winter?
a-Never
b-some do, but only the senior employees
c-Most do if they chose to
d-Everyone does. Its part of the job.
4-If not, what months do they work?
5-What is the average pay for engine and/or train crews. I don't mean to be nosiy but I would like to know how much money I should have put away before I go railroading.
6- C&TS vs D&SNG. Advantages and disadvantages of working for one over the other. What about the Georgetown Loop?
I know these are alot of questions and thanks for your time. If anyone has any other information or advice, I would love to hear it. I have already hear "Why the heck would you want to do that". Well because my Dad and his Dad did "that" on the N&W and I want to aswell. I can't continue my present career in the Mountain of Colorado and New Mexico but I don't want to raise my family in the big city ether and I'm too young to sit around and do nothing. I know the days (and nights) could be long and the work, hot, dirty and thankless however an ex-C&TS engineer once told me that "He wouldn't have traded it for anything".
Thank you all for your time and any information.
Jack W.
Subject Author Posted

Moving Out West

Jack W October 30, 2000 02:07AM

Re: Moving Out West

Steve Peck October 30, 2000 07:07AM

Jack W. November 01, 2000 03:47AM

Steve Peck November 01, 2000 07:57AM

Charles Barnett October 30, 2000 07:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.