Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Test In Georgetown *LINK*

Dan
May 15, 2005 07:09AM
Last night the #12 was tested again. Asked to push her limits by four cars and the #21 coupled behind her, starting on the grade below the bridge at the Lebanon Mine was all we could ask. Finally getting rolling you could jut hear her saying “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can”… What a performance. There is nothing in the world that sounds like a little 2-6-2 Prairie pushed right to the limits echoing in the valley. With sand in the sanders, she barked, straining in the tight curves to pick up steam once again on the straights up the steep grade. This was a test of her abilities and is more than will ever be asked of her again.
Let me tell you of the pride worn on the face of each and every person on that train last night. In a couple of short months, these people, led by Peter Gores, have taken the four bare walls of the shop in Silverplume and brought to life the feel and sounds of the past.
I will be the first to admit that there is a long way to go, and to match the performance of the Ashby family is impossible to ask of anyone. Their operation was “world class” and will never be surpassed, but to once again have steam on the loop is an accomplishment.
#12 will be the workhorse, #9 will be on line at some point this summer to handle the extras and with the 30/74 possibly next summer with others, a fine steam operation will again compliment the many Colorado Narrow Gauge Lines. We are very fortunate to be in this state of steam, living in the past.
Below is a link to a couple more photos on the Goat. I wish I had audio to accompany but please enjoy them.
Dan
Subject Author Posted

Another Test In Georgetown *LINK*

Dan May 15, 2005 07:09AM

Re: Another Test In Georgetown

JasonL May 15, 2005 10:49AM

Taylor Rush May 15, 2005 11:23AM

Chris Webster May 15, 2005 03:16PM

Ron Ruhoff May 16, 2005 06:48PM

JasonL May 15, 2005 03:31PM

Rob Gardner May 15, 2005 07:54PM

Dan May 16, 2005 06:03AM

Kevin Bush May 16, 2005 06:43AM

Dan May 18, 2005 08:26PM

Skip Luke May 16, 2005 03:43PM

KWilcomb May 16, 2005 04:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.