Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coloradoans & N.Mexicans, talk to your candidates!

October 16, 2000 11:46AM
Warning this is a political statement.
From what I understand the C&TS Commission will be asking the states for similar funding as this past year. The important distinction being that the newest capital improvements will be mostly for boiler work to meet the new FRA rules. If the locomotives don't pass inspection, then there will probably be no 2001 season.
Early this year many of us wrote letters to our state representatives and congressmen. I'm not looking forward to doing this again, but as things stand right now lobbying will be still needed for the foreseeable future to get the states to live up to their commitment and to ensure the future of the C&TS.
Well, there is one thing we can do right now, before the legislative sessions begin. That is talk to the candidates for your local districts and find out how they stand on further funding (or even if they have ever heard of the C&TS). The election is just three weeks away. I'm not saying to tell them that you will only vote for them if they will support funding, there are a lot of other more important issues. But find out how they stand, let them know how important it is to you and the people of your state, and let the novices know about the railroad.
I don't know about New Mexico; I was told that they only convene every two years. But in Colorado, all the representatives are up for election and so are most of the senators. Because of the term limits here, there will be many new faces. Who knows what makeup of the Capital Development Committee will be?
I've already talked to one of my house candidates and he is in favor of the funding. You can find out how to contact your candidates by following the link below and plugging in your 9 digit zip plus code.
Make your vote count for the CATS!
Subject Author Posted

Coloradoans & N.Mexicans, talk to your candidates!

Sam March October 16, 2000 11:46AM

A bit of clarification

John Craft October 16, 2000 01:11PM

Thanks John

Roger Hogan October 16, 2000 01:33PM

Re: A bit of clarification

Sam March October 16, 2000 01:43PM

John Craft October 16, 2000 02:19PM

Steve October 17, 2000 12:13AM

John Craft October 17, 2000 07:07AM

Steve C October 24, 2000 12:49AM

Mark Udall

Scott Hightower October 17, 2000 01:40PM

Colorado house district 60

Sam March October 18, 2000 11:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.