Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knott's - a time machine

October 13, 2000 12:14AM
I just got back from a week in Southern California. We spent part of last Sunday at Knott's (Part because they closed early for a special event) I’ll have to say there is a lot of TLC happening at Knott's these days.
First of all the equipment on the loop all looked great. For those who don't know about Knott's Berry Farm, they got 5 D&RGW San Juan pieces in 1952. That equipment are the coaches 310, 325 & 326 and the Parlor Cars "Durango" and "Chama". Also brought from Colorado were (2) High side gondolas, a stock car, a boxcar the RGS Business Car B-20 (the Edna) and the RGS Motor 3. As well as steamers 340, 464 and the RGS 41. The 464 was sold years ago to the Huckleberry RR in Flint MI.
The equipment is now being slowly returned to a more prototype feel. Both the 340 and 41 have been returned to the proper D&RGW and RGS paint schemes. The coaches now read "Denver and Rio Grande" on the Letterboard instead of the "Calico and whatever...RR"
The biggest surprise was a look inside the newly restored RGS B-20. The crew at Knott's finished a five-year job only about 6 months ago and she looks GREAT from outside to the inside. I do have to thank the 41's Driver who took me on his personal break to view this crown jewel. It is very apparent that they love to show off all the hard work they put into the "Edna", as I only had to ask.
He took me over and unlocked the front door and off I went to 1946. This car has had every piece of wood sanded clean and beautifully stained and sealed. The first item one sees is the restored coal stoves for heating and one for cooking. Across the isle is the "refrigerator" that is fed from the Ice Bunker on the platform.
As you start to walk toward the back of the car the isle jogs to the right then it reveals the door to the bedroom with bed and toilet all present and restored as well. At the back of the car, in the observation room the chairs pull out into beds as well. I was told the car could sleep seven. I looked up at the beautifully stained clerestory windows and asked if they were the originals. "No, but they are exact copies"
"How do you know they are exact?" I replied.
"We keep the originals in the Vault." It was very apparent that this crew knows a few things about car restoration. I was also told that the work on the "Durango" is ongoing. (The "Durango" still maintains it San Juan Interior and is just as beautiful as the Edna. I did not get to see the "Durango" on this trip, it is in the shop getting a brand new redwood exterior and re-paint to the San Juan Green and gold lettering. The same paint the "Edna" is enjoying now. I got to sit in the "Durango" about ten years ago and swing about in the ten swivel chairs.
This equipment is beautiful. Seems a shame that I was the only one who got to enjoy it last Sunday. If you are even close to Southern California you got to get to Knott's and see this stuff. Or they have to come to the D&S for RailFest 2001 and show off five years of sweat equity. I snapped a few shots and will try to post them as soon as they get back.
Kevin
Subject Author Posted

Knott's - a time machine

Kevin Cook October 13, 2000 12:14AM

Walter Knott

Mike Trent October 13, 2000 07:42AM

Re: Walter Knott

Brian Fritz October 13, 2000 02:02PM

Knott's pictures

Steven H October 13, 2000 08:11AM

Re: Knott's - a time machine

George Barlow October 13, 2000 03:23PM

Keep us informed about the upcoming celebrations *NM*

Brian Norden October 13, 2000 09:16PM

Re: 464 to Knott's

Jeff Johnson October 14, 2000 01:40AM

340 on Video

Greg Scholl October 14, 2000 07:43AM

JHS October 14, 2000 07:34PM

TheCMDR October 14, 2000 10:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.