Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Did Someone say B-7?

October 04, 2000 05:20PM
Howdy, you Polecats, I'm back with my own computer, the "Waldcayut 1" and now have a functioning keyboard again.
I have read most of the posts over the last month or so, and have at times cringed that I have not been able to respond. One of these posts was, I believe, from Grant Houston, who was wondering about building a model of the B-7 and what he could do to get pretty close. I apologize to those who responded to an earlier offer I had made to provide measurements of the B-7, and I have as yet failed to do so. I will provide these measurements but I have not been able to draw the car and present them properly. Other priorities, I guess, like work.
Anyway, Grant, I have built a pretty good model of the B-7 in On3 using a styrene Crossing Gate Parlor Car kit as a starting point. To do it right you have to cut new window openings on brand-new scribed sides. Most of the windows are the same size as the WIDE Grandt castings, used for vestibule coaches. The large picture windows at the rear on both sides can be made by fabricating two of the narrow coach windows together. My good friend Erick Nelson was kind enough to measure all around the car for me on one of his trips to Durango. The measurements he provided are in no way close to any published dimensions for the B-7. At least one of the drawings used by the D&RGW as B-7 is probably not B-7 at all, but the much smaller B-8, now at the Colorado Railroad Museum. That one is about the size of a short Baggage car. The B-7 is almost identical in length to the Alamosa (now coach #350), much longer than a platform coach.
Let me know if you are interested in these dimensions, I'll send them to you and get some pictures of my project. It's a lot of work to do one, but very well worth the effort.
To those who have already requested these, I'll send them along, I still have your names and addresses.
Mike
Subject Author Posted

Did Someone say B-7?

Mike Trent October 04, 2000 05:20PM

Re: Did Someone say B-7?

Matt Hutson October 05, 2000 08:10AM

Nope. Not Me.

Mike Trent October 05, 2000 03:16PM

Mak LIVES!

Kevin Cook October 05, 2000 10:39AM

B-7 Update

Mike Trent October 05, 2000 08:14PM

Re: B-7 Update

Jason Stephens October 07, 2000 08:00AM

B-7 & John Maxwell Drawings

Steve Peck October 08, 2000 12:25AM

John Maxwell Drawings

Mike Trent October 08, 2000 06:46AM

Re: John Maxwell Drawings

Steve Peck October 09, 2000 09:42AM

Clarification....

Mike Trent October 09, 2000 01:06PM

Re: John Maxwell Drawings

Brian Norden October 09, 2000 08:19PM

Glad you're back

Grant Houston October 09, 2000 06:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.