Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small power on the San Juan Extension

September 24, 2000 08:47PM
Nineteen years ago I was working as an engine watchman in Durango .As I became better at my job of servicing engines I had a little time at the end of my shift .In the foreman's office there were files going back many years .It seemed from photos taken by the pioneer photographers that smaller engines disappeared almost immediately after the upgrading of te Antonto-Durango main line and the introduction of the larger K-class engines in the 1920s . It looked like the K-27s saw little use on this line after the early 1930s . But the files told another tale . One accident report was of #459 derailed at Tiffany in late November ,1938 .Also saw a picture of #463 switching cattle cars at Dulce in 1943(the photo is in the tribe-owned restaurant at Dulce) Then Bob Richardson told me that the railroad often dispatched #375 to Gato to help trains over Florida Mesa as late as the 1940s . The best was a message Knoob showed me scrawled in the phone booth at Cresco .It reported a snow-fighting train with 169 ,319 ,and a 470 ,circa 1932 . If you have something to add to this conundrum ,let's see it !
Subject Author Posted

Small power on the San Juan Extension

El Coke September 24, 2000 08:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.