Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CHS thinking? for Loop motive power

December 20, 2004 03:17PM
Trying to understand the “problem” of the CHS/ GLRR break-up is we as railfan’s have a hard time separating ourselves from the fact the Georgetown Loop RR has been developed over many years by the Ashby’s/ Greska’s into a premier tourist operation. We would all love to see C&S equipment return to operation but from a business point of view how practical and economically feasible in reality is this? I am still scratching my head trying to understand the CHS thinking? of even considering restoring C&S #9 for this use. If the #74 is rated at 145 tons on a 4% grade then it may be able to pull the 9 car trains that were operated this past season (assuming 15 tons per car). I don’t know the tonnage rating for the C&S #9 but I would guess about 100 tons or 6 cars on the Loop. Note: Some of the C&S folks and/or GLRR operating crews please jump in and adjust my figures based on your knowledge/ experience in actual operations. My point is why from an economic/ operational standpoint would you restore for use an engine that is insufficient to haul the required car loading? The answer is you wouldn’t, unless of course you are the CHS who is not accountable to business realities of operating a tourist railroad. More on this later.
Subject Author Posted

CHS thinking? for Loop motive power

Rod Jensen December 20, 2004 03:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.