Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GE 25-Tonner--Want it? *PIC*

Ed Kelley
December 18, 2004 04:51PM
One of the things I enjoy about this board is the lack of diesel-dominance found at many other places; magazines, and foamer-lists. I'm not a diesel person; so this works out well!
However, I thought I should bring up recent information on a little narrow-gauge (3') GE 25-tonner at serious risk of being scrapped by its incompetent owners; perhaps someone or some railroad might have a use for it. (as long as you're not the CHS, who still appears not to have realized the importance of decent-sized locomotives to get enough tractive power on the Loop!)
This locomotive was one of two acquired by either Kaiser or Bethlehem Steel (can't remember) in the 70s by Magic Mountain in Valencia, California near LA. One of the locomotives was built into a dummy baggage car to push a Grasshopper-type dummy engine. Truly a hideous 'park train' piece of crap.
The other one remained a diesel; and when Valencia lost its narrow-gauge railroad, Astroworld in Houston got both trains, and the coaches. I was recently informed that the park is cleaning up space and selling the two old trains to scrap. The little GE 25-tonner, which ran up until I believe a year or two ago, is one of them. The Grasshopper-type thing has a blown transmission; the 25-tonner probably needs a new prime mover or something. This same park disposed of a Harpur steam locomotive they deemed 'beyond repair'; the same locomotive now at the Durango enginehouse. I don't know its status, but I hear it was restored.
If anyone is looking to add a little diesel switcher to their railroad, Six Flags' loss might be able to be someone elses' gain. The park didn't even put it up for sale; it's supposedly just 'slated' to be removed and scrapped. Probably a big project, but perhaps Six Flags' loss could be a gain to another operation. Six Flags as many of us know is going downhill, probably strapped for cash; and the diversion of funds from the 'minor' rides such as the railroads are being put towards coasters.
I figured there might be someone out there who could use this old fellow...I know a lot of people like these little engines. For a diesel, it isn't THAT bad!
(pictured below in operation at the park)
Subject Author Posted

GE 25-Tonner--Want it? *PIC*

Ed Kelley December 18, 2004 04:51PM

Re: GE 25-Tonner--Want it?

Dan Robirds December 19, 2004 02:57PM

Re: GE 25-Tonner--Want it? *PIC*

Ed Kelley December 19, 2004 03:13PM

Boy, that IS UGLY!

David Dewey December 19, 2004 09:28PM

Re: Boy, that IS UGLY! *PIC*

Ed Kelley December 19, 2004 09:40PM

GE 25 tonners

Dick Seelye December 19, 2004 04:40PM

Loop's future?

John West December 20, 2004 03:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.