Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Restoring the Argentine Central

December 06, 2004 09:20PM
Current photos on the "Goat" showing the Georgetown Loop #14 in Argentine Central colors really nurtures the idea of restoring the lower portion of that line.
It has been 20 years since I last hiked the right of way beyond Pavilion Point, but as I recall, the view from the even the lower switchbacks was sensational.
Is there currently public ownership of the right of way? Are there any major geologic impairments to re-establishing the grade?
The proximity to Denver, along with the ever increasing traffic count on I-70 would seemingly make the line a marketing "trophy" for a historical/tourist line restoration. Ridership would likely be limited only by seat capacity and Silver Plume parking limitations, the latter of which could possibly be addressed by bus shuttles.
I could envision hourly service from Silver Plume arriving at Waldorf, which could be re-developed into a Silverton styled tourist destination.
Being a realist, I could accept diesel/hydraulics if a stable of geared steam engines could not readily acquired.
OK, it is just a dream, but I suppose if I have to dream, I can dream BIG!
Santa Claus, are you listening?
Subject Author Posted

Restoring the Argentine Central

John Wilke December 06, 2004 09:20PM

Re: Restoring the Argentine Central

Paul Gibbs December 06, 2004 10:06PM

narrow minded December 07, 2004 01:42AM

Bill Farquhar December 07, 2004 12:49PM

The Josh December 07, 2004 07:40PM

Hobosteve December 08, 2004 06:26AM

John December 08, 2004 07:04AM

Dan Robirds December 08, 2004 10:48AM

Todd Hackett December 08, 2004 06:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.