Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: BCRHS/#30 Update

Ed Kelley
November 16, 2004 09:13AM
There's nothing like seeing 19th century steam in operation...however, the thought of that Brooks in steam again makes me extremely nervous. I'm a huge supporter of operating locomotives; not a fan of the stuff-and-mount approach--however, a locomotive left outside to the elements for so many years...sounds like in this instance, the 30/74 is better left as a display piece.
One serious mishap with a war-wounded locomotive, improperly-trained inexperienced crew or poor maintenance will not only be devastating to the Loop's history, but could possibly have a great impact on the steam world. Boiler inspections aren't without flaws; the inspectors are as human as anyone else and have the obvious ability to make errors. I've heard horror stories about it, and I sure hope the inspectors in Colorado are as tough and thorough as so I hear the Pennsylvania guys are. I have no doubt that Marlin Uhrich and crew are more than capable of overhauling the locomotive to operation if that's the decision; and I can't say Railstar Corp. has inexperienced crews, since I've never been a patron of either of their operations (nothing I've seen in pictures appears BAD by any means). Just a thought in general; the loop, or elsewhere.
I'd be curious as to if there's a list to compare as to which operating steam locomotives in the US are still using lap-seam boilers. I was told the two C-19s now over at Knotts were reboilered sometime in the 30s. It might be a neat resource. Not often you get to see these engines; lagging and jacket-off.
-Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

BCRHS/#30 Update *LINK*

Chris Weaver November 12, 2004 02:18PM

Mike Trent November 13, 2004 07:50AM

Rick Steele November 14, 2004 07:08AM

Ted Miles November 14, 2004 09:17PM

Chris Weaver November 15, 2004 07:54PM

Karasu November 15, 2004 08:13PM

Ed Kelley November 16, 2004 09:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.