Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: National Geo magazine - rusty NG loco in AS?

Art
May 25, 2001 11:39PM
Freinds,
I am afraid to tell you that the locomotives are in far worse shape than any of the pictures on the net. On my last trip to Nome, I took the time to travel out to the engines. They are more part of the tundra than ever before. The site actually sits even with sea level. The locomotives, whats left of them, are sinking into the tundra plain. The only reason ties where under them is because there is very slow decay for wood when it is frozeen most of the time. But saltwater and metal don't mix. The rails and wheels to the locomotives, the flats and all the other components are completely fused together. The layers of metal flake are to the point where just leaning on them caused most flat/surface areas to bend inward, crumble or break off.
The boilers inner sheets, with what little is left of the crowns had caved in upon itself. The stacks had fallen over and I beleive the lead loco's had completely fallen to the tundra. The domes where full of holes and barely siting on the shells. Sand domes had been nest for fowl for some time. There was nothing left of the locomotives that could be salvaged. The few trucks that are scatterd around the site might make some good conversation peices in a collection, but very little else. Most of the avialable wood in the area is usually a source of fire wood. Survival in the arctic is higher on the priority list for people here.
For someone who loves steam and preservation, it was a sad sight. They have been revaged by the many storms right off the ocean 200 feet away. On the tundra, I did find a grab iron, and the tank fill lip/opening, that I brought home with me. It may out live all of it. I wish that I could bring you better news of these peices of history, but they are ones that will be gone forever. Wish I had better news.
Just a note, most of the pictures taken of these locomotives is from a state maintained dirt road to the west of them, high looking east.
And yet the sad thing, only five miles inward from the coast on the way to Council, I found a flat car that with a little oil and paint, looked like it could roll down the tracks today.
Alaska truly is mysterious.
Art Chase
North Pole, Alaska
Subject Author Posted

National Geo magazine - rusty NG loco in AS?

Steven H May 24, 2001 08:14AM

Tom Shreve May 24, 2001 08:37AM

Michael Allen May 24, 2001 10:33AM

Dennis O'Berry May 25, 2001 12:29PM

Art May 25, 2001 11:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.