Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nat. Geograghic Traveler article & a question

Shoup
April 24, 2001 11:06PM
Just caught a brief story on Chama in the May/June issue, written by Shermakaye Bass (I don't think he's a regular here). I'd give it a gentleman's C. Writers with vocabularies that include the word "funky" should probably stick to the east side of the Holland Tunnel.
He seemed to struggle a little with the concept of gradient and reported that during his 64 mile ride, the crew explained that the train had a 4% climb all the way to Antonito. I believe that translates to a total vertical gain of 13,500 feet, putting Antonito at an elevation of somewhere around 21,500' above sea level. No wonder I had trouble sleeping there back in 1981.
So maybe he got a few obscure geograghical facts wrong. But he came through when it counted, observing that it's easy to "spot the train buffs" in Chama by the "overalls and engineer caps" they wear. So my question to all you guys is this: where do you change your clothes before you go into Foster's for a beer? Or is getting your ass kicked just part of the experience?
Shoup
Subject Author Posted

Nat. Geograghic Traveler article & a question

Shoup April 24, 2001 11:06PM

Re: Nat. Geograghic Traveler article & a question

RichB April 25, 2001 05:00AM

Phone Booths

Crayuft April 25, 2001 05:53AM

Re: Phone Booths

Jim Adams April 26, 2001 07:14PM

Allen Tacy April 26, 2001 09:01PM

Jim Adams April 28, 2001 08:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.