Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Educating the "tourons"

April 12, 2001 10:40PM
Mik,
You're right of course.
I know I told my little story and had my chuckle, but there is a serious side to all this and you're absolutely right to point it out.
Though the father's question about the motor was amusing, that the question was asked at all was really a failure in interpretation.
Of course those were the days before such things were really considered - but, were it not for the interested fireman wishing to engage his guests, a chance to connect with those particular visitors would have been totally lost. I've got to believe the fireman explained the "motor issue" to his guests and everyone went away wiser and happier. I also know that Edaville eventually added a display to educate people how a steam locomotive works.
I have seen numerous thoughtful posts from many of you out there and I know that many of us are concerned about attracting more volunteers and engaging the younger generation to take over in their turn. There is also the not inconsiderable issue that economics dictate the need to find additional sources of revenue. I contend it all ties in with the "visitor experience".
Why do people come at all - is one question. Why do people return is another.
Most tourist attractions count in no small measure upon return visitation. Tourist RRs, museums, historical sites, you name it - they depend upon people having sufficient disposable income to check it out. In "economics-speak" these folks are willing to trade their "scarce" financial resources for a "scarce" experiential resource. In English, they're all in the tourist business.
So why ?DO? people come back? Why ?DO? people get involved as supporters and volunteers? Lots of reasons, but they all come back to the thought that something happened that was worth recapturing. That "experience" is what we've got to get better at providing.
I'm willing to bet that Dad and his son came back thanks in part to the "experience" that fireman gave them.
My thoughts ...
Glenn
Subject Author Posted

Re: Educating the "tourons"

Glenn Christensen April 12, 2001 10:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.