Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: No Transfer? Then don't let it rot.

April 12, 2001 08:59AM
I think that one of the reason that this thread stopped cold is that anyone at any railroad museum that is able to look at their organization objectivly realizes that they are guilty of neglecting some part of their collection. It's never intensional, it's simply a reality that the money is not there to do everything today. Many organizations fell into the trap of "I don't care what else has to be done the train has to run!" It is also a reality that railroad museums tend to over collect when the equipment is available, "it has to be saved" is a charge I have heard for years. The rare yet more sucessful charge is why how and where it should be saved. I am from the tourist RR museum feild not the traditional museum field and are at times swayed by either arguement. But having contact with acreditied museum I can tell you the most RR museums are looked down on because standards of care that they give their collections. There are no railroad or trolley museums that are acredited by AAM. The only eqipment in acredited collections belong to museums with other goals. There should be a lesson somewhere in this.
Paul
Subject Author Posted

Re: No Transfer? Then don't let it rot.

Paul Dalleska April 12, 2001 08:59AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.