Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A little boy's dream came true

October 06, 2004 02:35PM
My Dad's favorite railroad was the Colorado and Southern's narrow gauge lines. We rode to Leadville and back on #70 and #71 3-29&30-1937. I was 9 months old and in a basket. Dad rode the last train west from Idaho Springs on 1-30-1939 (see Mac Poor's DSP&P page 404). Therefore growing up I heard many stories about the C&S and saw many pictures, but that just didn't amount to seeing the real thing. My maternal grandparents lived in Denver and some summers were spent there and in the mountains. I stood on old US40 many times at the stone embankment just east of Silver Plume and tried and tried to imagine a train coming up the hill. I climbed all over the 1006 trying to get the "feel" of the C&S. Then, in my adult years, came LIndsay and Rosa Ashby. I rode over at Central City many times and then the move to Silver Plume. I have no idea how many times I rode the Loop. I was there the first day that the public could ride, once again, over the bridge. I have many special memories such as the cold January day that I was privileged to ride the 140's cab down over the Loop on a test run and another day when I was allowed to run the 12 up the hill. My farewell trip was Sunday Sept. 5th. We boarded at Georgetown and rode behind 140-130 up the hill and returned behind the 12. So I want to say "THANKS" for many good years. But, most of all "Thank you for making a little boy's dreams come true"!!!!
Subject Author Posted

A little boy's dream came true

W.A. GiBson Jr October 06, 2004 02:35PM

Yep!

Skippy October 08, 2004 11:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.